Help my autistic son needs dustractions

my son is 26 and lives on his own.  He cannot live with us as it is too stressful for him he needs his own space. He currently lives in a flat but he hears the neighbour upstairs and focuses on it and gets stressed as it stops him getting to sleep. I have given him earplugs to use but he finds them uncomfortable. Any advice would be greatly appreciated how he can block out noise. Apart from moving to a the middle of nowhere is there any thing that helps deal with this ?

Parents
  • I use foam earplugs (short ones only; I don’t like them too deep in my ear. The ones I like are the green ones from boots. I wear them when swimming and bathing too as I hate the sensation of water stuck in my ears), but over-the-ear ear defenders are also available if he finds those uncomfortable (think building site wear).

White noise (I use rain sounds at night, there are 10 hour YouTube videos of it) or music can also be very good at drowning out surrounding noise. Low frequency noises (e.g. bass from music) can be dampened by the sound of an electric fan.

Hope one of these ideas helps!

• I use foam earplugs (short ones only; I don’t like them too deep in my ear. The ones I like are the green ones from boots. I wear them when swimming and bathing too as I hate the sensation of water stuck in my ears), but over-the-ear ear defenders are also available if he finds those uncomfortable (think building site wear).

White noise (I use rain sounds at night, there are 10 hour YouTube videos of it) or music can also be very good at drowning out surrounding noise. Low frequency noises (e.g. bass from music) can be dampened by the sound of an electric fan.

Hope one of these ideas helps!

Children
No Data