New diagnosis - Now what?

Hi!

I'm a woman in my late twenties and was only made aware of the possiblity of me being autistic a few years ago. Despite having a diagnosed brother my understanding of the real complexities and breadth of autism was pretty weak. Once I began researching women's experiences of autism it felt like my whole life suddenly made sense, I wasn't just a freak!

I got my official diagnosis a couple of months ago and that felt pretty great! Even though I felt pretty strongly I was somewhere on the spectrum I could never quite shake the feeling of being an imposter, so having it confirmed was great. 

Now though I'm not really sure what to do with myself. I'm discharged from the ward through which I got my diagnosis and I feel rather adrift. I'd say I was quite high functioning, but depression and anxiety have been constants in my life since a young age, largely from feeling alienated from the world around me with no real understanding of why. I'm in full time work, have a great relationship and on a day to day basis I function fine, but my head is total mess. I think growing an understanding of what my autism is to me, what I can change and what I need to learn to accept will really help me start to heal.

All the resources I've researched so far in my area seem to be catered more towards carers of adults who need more support than me. And if not that, then it's held when I'm in work. I'm really struggling to find support as a working adult. 

What steps did those of you with a late diagnosis take to begin to fully understand autism as it is to you? Did you find support online or just getting stuck in with social groups? Any help is really appreciated.

TL;DR I've just been diagnosed, what do I do now?! 

LLPJ x

Parents Reply
  • I'm really lucky in that my wife is fully onboard this journey with me - she was less surprised than I.  Even if you don't have anyone at home to discuss these things with, there are plenty of people here that will listen and offer what advice they can.

I think we are all - men and women - more or less on the same path, just at different stages along that path

Children
No Data