What did you have for breakfast today?

Happy Monday! How was breakfast for you?

Mine was bread rolls, cornflakes and chamomile tea... I'm in a hostel on the Camino Costal in Portugal, surrounded by a very mixed group, mainly individuals, most from other European countries, some from Asia, one cycling, the rest walking the pretty coastal route to Santiago de Compostela in northern Spain :-) 

The breakfast is actually much more interesting here, but I have tummy ache, so I missed out on the yoghurt, cheese, meat, hot chocolate, orange juice, etc...

Parents
  • Cornflakes, glass of smooth orange juice, glass of semi-skimmed milk. Same as I have most days.

• Thanks for joining in the breakfast exchange Stephen... How was your day?

• I can understand this Stephen. Toxic, nasty fields of work create all sorts  of problems. I've witnessed the damage done to former colleagues, and narrowly escaped coming to harm myself. Benign working environments are definitely the best option. 

• I have a degree in Politics. I no longer wish to work in a field that has gotten a lot nastier in the last eleven years.

• Hi Stephen

I'm also a graduate who has worked in a wide range of roles. I've had to reinvent myself career-wise many times. It is very tough but there are lots of advantages to having had diverse experience. The challenge is getting an employer to give you a chance in the first place.

The fact that you interview well is a huge positive. Have you got an ideal job or type of work in mind? Does it relate to your Degree subject? I'm approaching the end of my career but if I had lots of working years ahead of me I'd think carefully about the quality of life associated with different roles.

I worked in graduate employability at one time and I was quite impressed by the Civil Service's approach to recruitment - their commitment to diversity seemed genuine and they adjusted the process to be inclusive. More companies are beginning to recognise autistic strengths and I hope that in the course of your career things get better and better.  

In a field of rather boring run of the mill graduates I am sure you have the potential to stand out. Getting a 2:1 degree prior to diagnosis, while experiencing depression, is a massive achievement. This demonstrates your ability and your resilience. 

Completely understand your decision not to claim benefits. I know many other people in the same position. The hassle involved is often detrimental to health, which shows just how flawed the benefits system is. 

The idea of getting recruitment consultants to pick fruit post Brexit is very amusing - I'd like to see them tackle some thorny old gooseberries! 

Very best wishes to you,

Rose 

• Thanks for explaining your situation Stephen...

It sounds tough.

Great news that you interview well... that's a really useful skill! 

I'd meant to show the Reigate employment scheme as an example of what might be available in your area through your  local council... I didn't mean that the job or that location would necessarily be suitable for your needs.

I'm surprised to hear that your local Jobcentre has closed too...

Perhaps you could try fruit picking for a season? ;-)

Best wishes and the very best of luck to you...

I'd love to hear how you get on going forward...

Anna

• Thanks for explaining your situation Stephen...

It sounds tough.

Great news that you interview well... that's a really useful skill! 

I'd meant to show the Reigate employment scheme as an example of what might be available in your area through your  local council... I didn't mean that the job or that location would necessarily be suitable for your needs.

I'm surprised to hear that your local Jobcentre has closed too...

Perhaps you could try fruit picking for a season? ;-)

Best wishes and the very best of luck to you...

I'd love to hear how you get on going forward...

Anna

Children
No Data