The Spectrum Concept

Discussing elsewhere the “spectrum” word in ASD. Wondering how others feel about the word before the D word (disorder).

Sorry but I don’t  identify as being part of some ego mad Drs interesting “spectrum concept” in a position on a range to be plotted on the chart and fawned over. There she sits right about there Point right tone1I am autistic, it’s who I am Point up tone1 imagine being on the black spectrum or the gay or depressed spectrum Laughing on the Bi Polar spectrum or the Lesbian Spectrum Stuck out tongue closed eyes No Raised hand tone1

The word spectrum in my view helps the average people grasp that not all Autistic people are exactly the same. Why is that so hard to grasp that we need a fancy word. Are all black people the same shade of black? Are they a spectrum of black Rolling eyes I guess they are (my kids are black and this is not a racially motivated comment).  Yet we do not highlight this range of skin colour - black people are just referred to as black.

it just seems ridiculous that Autism being a range needs a special word because it’s so difficult to comprehend.

what do people think?

Don’t even get me started on the third part the “disorder” Raised hand tone1RoflRoflRofl

Parents
  • Also truly are we on a spectrum at all in the true meaning of the word spectrum?

used to classify something in terms of its position on a scale between two extreme points

The implication that it is simply a line from mild to severe can do more harm than good, IMHO. There is a variation in language skills, variation in sensory differences, variation in social comprehension, variation in executive function differences, and so on, to any degree of separating one ability from another (e.g. semantic language skills vs. pragmatic language skills, spoken vs. written language skills.) If it were a simple spectrum, then the gradation would apply across all of these areas in equal proportion, but it quite obviously doesn't. This simplification is dangerous; it is why those of us with good functional language skills are so often assumed to have little impairment in other, less easily observed, areas, for example. Nor are functional differences consistent; my functional language skills can be just dandy until I find myself in a particularly stressful situation, or need to combine them with pragmatic language skills; during an extreme period of burn-out, I can lose these skills completely, to the point of complete receptive and productive aphasia.

As the old saying goes; "A little learning can be a dangerous thing." If taken too literally, the "spectrum" analogy can be as much of a misconception as many of the misconceptions it aims to disabuse people of. The "everyone is on the spectrum" attitude, which would be true if the analogy was accurate, leads to a kind of false empathy for autistic people; the idea that people can understand us by extrapolating from their own experiences, or from what they have learned about some other autistic person, and this discourages people from looking any further. My experience is that explaining my autism to someone with no prior exposure to it is much easier than explaining it to people who think they know something because they absorbed the over-simplified "spectrum" concept.

To me, autism is a "category" containing a multi-dimensional region of closely associated conditions, not a "spectrum".

• I think you're looking at it from the bottom up. Most NTs will never knowingly meet an autie in everyday life. They may know one via a friend - someone's brother etc. They will make their entire model of autistic people from that one meeting. When they meet a second one who is radically different from the first, they will question and modify that model of autistic people. They will see a spectrum of abilities (as measured by NTs).

It's only really healthcare professionals who get to see the full variety of different autistic people on a regular basis so they will see the complete range from the highest to the lowest functioning.

• I think you're looking at it from the bottom up. Most NTs will never knowingly meet an autie in everyday life. They may know one via a friend - someone's brother etc. They will make their entire model of autistic people from that one meeting. When they meet a second one who is radically different from the first, they will question and modify that model of autistic people. They will see a spectrum of abilities (as measured by NTs).

It's only really healthcare professionals who get to see the full variety of different autistic people on a regular basis so they will see the complete range from the highest to the lowest functioning.

Children
  • I think you're looking at it from the bottom up

Very likely Smiley

Anyway the truth is that the spectrum thing is probably more helpful to create a picture in the NT mind than unhelpful!  

I am all over that spectrum though myself . . .  and I have a deep seated need for accurate classification!  Which I am satisfied that describing us as 'spectrum' or at least me anyway (I should speak for myself) is not strictly speaking accurate.  But who cares I guess - only a little oddball like myself Grimacing loool x