The Spectrum Concept

Discussing elsewhere the “spectrum” word in ASD. Wondering how others feel about the word before the D word (disorder).

Sorry but I don’t  identify as being part of some ego mad Drs interesting “spectrum concept” in a position on a range to be plotted on the chart and fawned over. There she sits right about there Point right tone1I am autistic, it’s who I am Point up tone1 imagine being on the black spectrum or the gay or depressed spectrum Laughing on the Bi Polar spectrum or the Lesbian Spectrum Stuck out tongue closed eyes No Raised hand tone1

The word spectrum in my view helps the average people grasp that not all Autistic people are exactly the same. Why is that so hard to grasp that we need a fancy word. Are all black people the same shade of black? Are they a spectrum of black Rolling eyes I guess they are (my kids are black and this is not a racially motivated comment).  Yet we do not highlight this range of skin colour - black people are just referred to as black.

it just seems ridiculous that Autism being a range needs a special word because it’s so difficult to comprehend.

what do people think?

Don’t even get me started on the third part the “disorder” Raised hand tone1RoflRoflRofl

Parents
  • I'm very comfortable with the term spectrum. As much as you may disagree, we are in the minority - the world is built by NTs, for NTs so we are the ones who don't fit with the 'norm'.

When compared to that norm, I fit in 99% of the time - but under certain conditions, my inner autie pops out and I cannot function. There are lots of auties who cannot interract with the NT's world at all - and there's people somewhere in the middle. That makes a wide spectrum of abilities (to fit in with NTs).

• I'm very comfortable with the term spectrum. As much as you may disagree, we are in the minority - the world is built by NTs, for NTs so we are the ones who don't fit with the 'norm'.

When compared to that norm, I fit in 99% of the time - but under certain conditions, my inner autie pops out and I cannot function. There are lots of auties who cannot interract with the NT's world at all - and there's people somewhere in the middle. That makes a wide spectrum of abilities (to fit in with NTs).

Children
  • I don't really disagree with anyone.  I am happy if others are happy with the label.  For me I don't think I fit at certain point on this spectrum, I think I'm all over the thing!!  I have no particular desire anymore to fit in with NT's and don't try to unless it is unavoidable.  I have totally embraced my difference but that took 43 years! x