Advice adult who had a meltdown on a plane

I was flying back from the cannerys on a eve flight and ended up having a meltdown. It ended with me doing something very dangerous I punched the window and the plastic window cover pop in.

i had got very overwhelmed on the flight it was packed and noisy. They were serving drinks past 12 o’clock at night the flight was like a pub in the sky I become overwhelmed and ended up punching the window. I was with jet 2 and couldn’t get a day flight with them for return this is how they make there money with rubbish flights.

my question is how do you adults cope with flying, the whole thing has shock me I could of coursed danger to every one I didn’t even rember doing it just the shock after.

• Thanks for all the advise guys 

• Great tips there. I've saved them for the next time I can't avoid travel. 

For me, the worst bits are the queuing for security and again at the gate. There are always too many bits and pieces to keep track of. I suppose autism explains my clumsiness, but no matter how much I try to pre-organise things e.g hard copies of everything, stashed in labelled, plastic document wallets - somehow I always end up fumbling things when I'm trying to either hand over what I need to, or more usually get everything put away properly afterwards. It's always a struggle, and that gets me flustered, so I get mad with myself and am always right on the edge of yelling OH FOR F***'S SAKE! out of frustration. I usually feel like I must be holding up the people behind me, which makes me even more frustrated with myself, because the other part of me really needs to get everything stashed again in its proper place so that I can actually find it again the next time I need it. 

Does anyone else experience this, or is it just me?

• I had a meltdown on a plane once which didn't end in violence but I was a curled up semi-hysterical crying wreck who couldn't explain to anyone what was going on and they had to make the plane wait so that I could get off, which was horrible and embarrassing.

I don't know about other airlines, but if you make your autism known to BA, they can pre-reserve you seats and mark your ticket so that you board first. Heathrow also has a scheme where you can ask for a lanyard with sunflowers on it, which serves as a sign to staff that you have a hidden disability. If you become too distressed to explain yourself, they will at least then have a good idea of why, and know to get you to a quiet place.

I haven't used assistance through the airport as I don't think I need it, but I prefer to make my autism known to the staff, as it's fairer on them too. That way if something happens, they will know what's going on and hopefully be able to do something to help.

• You are right about not getting visibly stressed. 

• There's some extra details - if you're staying at the airport hotel, take just enough toiletries for that evening and morning - dump them in the bathroom bin as you leave.

Having nothing with you in the airport is easier through security.

When you get to your destination, buy new stuff there.

• There's a lot of ways of reducing stress with the whole flying experience.

You can engineer each part of the experience to minimise stress & panic.

This is what we do - other airlines may not offer all these facilities.

When you book, tell them about your special needs - get them to seat you in the quiet parts of the plane and make sure they arrange special assistance at the airport.

Book an airoport lounge (£30/person)

Book on-site airport parking - you have ages to book and they do deals all the time, (£40/week)

Book a hotel at the airport (£30)

ON THE EVENING BEFORE YOU FLY

Drive to the airport in the evening - no traffic on the roads - no traffic at the airport so it's easier to drive slower and spot all of the signs where you need to go to the car park.

Use the courtesy bus to get you to the terminal

Do the twighlight check-in - no crowds - gets rid of your luggage.

Use the courtesy bus to take you to the hotel.

After a night in the hotel, you go to the airport terminal in the morning and report to special assistance - they will get you through security with no hassles.

Go to your  airport lounge - much quieter than the normal departure lounges - no stench of purfume.

The special assistance people will normally get you pre-boarded so you get your seat and space for your hand-luggage before anyone else gets on board.

Identify yourself to the stewardess on boarding (there'll be one at each exit guarding the doors from morons) and explain your problems - be very clear about your needs - if you've spoken to the airline on booking, they will already know about you and they will be sympathetic and understanding - they will do their best to look after you on the flight.

DO NOT get visibly stressed - this can end badly - if things are getting bad, chat to the stewardess about your stress levels and they wil do their best to help you calm down - as long as you can help them help you - all they want is a nice controlled flight with no incidents.

If you have contacted the airline, they may be able to help you at the other end to get you off the plane and through customs.

I don't know where you are, but I've used Gatwick a lot - they are absolutely excellent. Our plan adds a little cost - but it's soooo worth it.

I've flown on 747s where we are the only people in the entire centre section over the wing - like our own private plane - very civilised.

• I just try to avoid going anywhere. If I have to travel, I don't fly on a budget airline, because my previous experience of them has been hellish.

It's always easier and cheaper to see somewhere from home, thanks to Google image search. More and more places are spoilt by the numbers of visitors. 

http://www.trailingrachel.com/angkor-wat-photos-reality/

I would hate to spend a fortune getting somewhere only to be confronted by crowds like that. For me it renders the whole trip pointless.

Then there's all the security, making you (ok, me) feel like a terrorist even before I get on the plane. 

• Did you want to sleep at that point?

Perhaps you should avoid periods when there are likely to be revellers. Maybe it is worth paying extra for business class?