Looking for Support for Young Adults with Autism

Hi, I just joined this community hoping to see if anyone can help me? Blush I was diagnosed with Autism (Aspergers) in October 2017. My parents and I are struggling to find support for me on what I could do next. I have signed up for E-befriending but there aren’t many things for young adults. I really need the support.

Does anyone have any tips, links or guidence that could help me through this please? I really would like to be able to understand better and see what support is out there for me that could help me with employment, everyday life etc

Thanks for reading! Blush

Amy x

Parents
  • Hello, welcome to the community! I totally understand the difficulties in finding local support and it’s no surprise that information can be hard to find (support services can be fractured and delivered by different organisations). I’ve found the following leaflet for post diagnosis in your area (I think), have a look and see what you think: http://www.cwp.nhs.uk/media/3491/asd-post-diagnosis-information-a-asdpdi-17-752.pdf 

Is this helpful?

• Hi, thank you for replying to my post and welcoming me into the community. I have looked at the leaflet and it is interesting I will have a look soon. I just hope I can find some sort of help that would help both me and my parents in this new diagnoses. It's all new to me, I just wished that the women we spoke to too just helped us more than throwing us to the side once she was done with us. But thank you for the link to the leaflet x

• I’m glad it’s helpful. As the other contributors have mentioned, support after diagnosis is commonly poor. I totally understand the difficulties your facing and hopefully you’ll be able to find some support locally. If your still struggling, it’s worth calling the NAS advice line.

• I’m glad it’s helpful. As the other contributors have mentioned, support after diagnosis is commonly poor. I totally understand the difficulties your facing and hopefully you’ll be able to find some support locally. If your still struggling, it’s worth calling the NAS advice line.

Children
  • Yes, I printed off the leaflet last night so I could have a better look to see if there is anything that could help me and my parents. At the moment I have found something that could help with a future career in animals. It is difficult trying to find help, but I am so glad that I decided to create a post to ask for help. Thanks again for that link, it has helped :) I will keep in mind with NAS advice line and see if they can help if i am still struggling. In the meantime, I will keep in mind all these responses I get from people in the forums x