What reasonable adjustments do people find they get?

Hi All,

I've just had a formal diagnosis of high functioning autism and along with it a list of potential recommendations from a professional to be discussed with my employer.  My employer has pretty much point blank refused things on this list or just ignored them entirely.  Some of them are obviously unreasonable for such a small company like having a quiet place to work but others like adjusting communication styles don't seem to be to me.  Essentially the only things I've had are passive things like being able to wear headphones and move desk.  I feel like the diagnosis has given me a bit of breathing space at work and stopped some of their offensive behaviour but things are far from me being supported and accommodated.

So realistically, what do people find they are able to get as reasonable accommodations at work and how did you get them?  Especially interested in any environments that are as close to small sized business software development as possible, i.e. limited resources and an office environment.

Thanks,

Craig

Parents
  • There are a number of reasonable adjustments that can help ASD. You’ve mentioned some really good ones but I’d add some which I hope is useful:

1. Time Out when overwhelmed;

2. Working from home one day a week;

3. Workplace Coaching (via Access to Work);

4. Noise Cancelling Headphones (Bose models are good);

5. Attending medical appointments;

6. Regular management catch-ups:

There is some really good stuff on the NAS website on the types of adjustments for ASD and I’d certainly recommend speaking to Access to Work to see if they can help. They are able to provide financial assistance to smaller employers where barriers may be harder to remove (please see 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/access-to-work-factsheet/access-to-work-factsheet-for-customers) 

• Thanks.  While time and resources have been mentioned it feels like it's masking the real emotional ones rather than the underlying issue.  It's good to think about though.

• While time and resources have been mentioned it feels like it's masking the real emotional ones rather than the underlying issue.

Access to work will also recommend adjustments with no financial aspect to them.  A lot of the adjustments do not require any finance at all, it is just the extra 'push' your employer wants to get them done.  And  recommendations of Access to Work if refused could set a whole range of actions going which your employer is unlikely to win.

It took a long time to get it (about eighteen months) but I moved into a different and very much quieter office about two months ago - something which was reccommended.  Also I got my own personal scanner to enable me to scan work documents without having to constantly get up and move to the office scanner.

I had my duties adjusted, so I do not have to have much contact with the public, I got a support worker (two sessions a month of two hours each whereby I can explain any problems I have at work and this will be put to the management by my support worker rather than me so there is no question of 'performance' in this, I have permission to 'have a rest' if work gets overwhelming.  It is now understood that I may say 'inappropriate things' at times and I may be blunt.  Training was given to the rest of the workforce (I had to think about 'coming out' before this but I was glad I did).  It is also now understood I may not be very sociable with others, that I may make odd noises and 'stim', that I talk a lot to myself (even telling myelf off out loud, that I may get frustrated, and that I shouldn't be interrupted more than absolutely, and if I am interrupted it may take time to get back in my stride.  It is also understood that if I don't acknowledge others it is not me being rude.

I am now left a lot to my own devices in the workplace which is how I like things to be, I am no longer being micromanaged and I am sitting in my own space, not one where I am surrounded by others.  Previously I was in a noisy office with strong kitchen smells, bright fluorescent lights and little natural light. 

You say you have some adjustments recommended from your diagnosis, but contact your local autism adult support service (if there is one where you live) and explain to them the diffculties you face at work. They may be able to help with your application for Access to Work, whose purpose is to keep you in work.

Be under no illusions that unless you can either explain yourself or get someone to explain for you, your employer will possibly not give you any adjustments. Adjustments are only  enforceable under the Equality Act if your condition causes substantial problems in everyday life, and if you cannot evidence this it may become difficult for you to get the adjustments you need. 

It may be an idea to write to your manager (email) to explain your condition and how it affects you, and say you want adjustments to help negate the difficulties you face in the workplace.  Do this politely, but also say you require a reply within a fortnight as to what adjustments they will provide or with reasons why they do not consider these adjustments are not necessary.  This is where a union representative if you have one would come in handy, they should support you in asking for your rights.

A diagnosis of autism does not, in the eyes of some employers, necessarily mean you need adjustments, and this is exacerbated by autism being an 'invisible' disability.  My employer sent me to Occupational Health following diagnosis, who more or less said that I was autistic and should be given the recommended adjustments including not answering telephones and not answering queries from the public.

You should also remember that other adjustments may become necessary in the future as job roles alter, and new things may affect you at work.  So you should also say (or get a support worker to say for you) that problems will be prevented if any changes are discussed with you beforehand and that this is meaningful discussion (not of the nature from the employer 'this is what we have decided you should do'.)   The one person though who knows most about your conditon and how you are affected is you, and this is why you need an advocate of some sort who you can discuss things with and put them to your management.  That will prevent much anxiety in the future.

• While time and resources have been mentioned it feels like it's masking the real emotional ones rather than the underlying issue.

Access to work will also recommend adjustments with no financial aspect to them.  A lot of the adjustments do not require any finance at all, it is just the extra 'push' your employer wants to get them done.  And  recommendations of Access to Work if refused could set a whole range of actions going which your employer is unlikely to win.

It took a long time to get it (about eighteen months) but I moved into a different and very much quieter office about two months ago - something which was reccommended.  Also I got my own personal scanner to enable me to scan work documents without having to constantly get up and move to the office scanner.

I had my duties adjusted, so I do not have to have much contact with the public, I got a support worker (two sessions a month of two hours each whereby I can explain any problems I have at work and this will be put to the management by my support worker rather than me so there is no question of 'performance' in this, I have permission to 'have a rest' if work gets overwhelming.  It is now understood that I may say 'inappropriate things' at times and I may be blunt.  Training was given to the rest of the workforce (I had to think about 'coming out' before this but I was glad I did).  It is also now understood I may not be very sociable with others, that I may make odd noises and 'stim', that I talk a lot to myself (even telling myelf off out loud, that I may get frustrated, and that I shouldn't be interrupted more than absolutely, and if I am interrupted it may take time to get back in my stride.  It is also understood that if I don't acknowledge others it is not me being rude.

I am now left a lot to my own devices in the workplace which is how I like things to be, I am no longer being micromanaged and I am sitting in my own space, not one where I am surrounded by others.  Previously I was in a noisy office with strong kitchen smells, bright fluorescent lights and little natural light. 

You say you have some adjustments recommended from your diagnosis, but contact your local autism adult support service (if there is one where you live) and explain to them the diffculties you face at work. They may be able to help with your application for Access to Work, whose purpose is to keep you in work.

Be under no illusions that unless you can either explain yourself or get someone to explain for you, your employer will possibly not give you any adjustments. Adjustments are only  enforceable under the Equality Act if your condition causes substantial problems in everyday life, and if you cannot evidence this it may become difficult for you to get the adjustments you need. 

It may be an idea to write to your manager (email) to explain your condition and how it affects you, and say you want adjustments to help negate the difficulties you face in the workplace.  Do this politely, but also say you require a reply within a fortnight as to what adjustments they will provide or with reasons why they do not consider these adjustments are not necessary.  This is where a union representative if you have one would come in handy, they should support you in asking for your rights.

A diagnosis of autism does not, in the eyes of some employers, necessarily mean you need adjustments, and this is exacerbated by autism being an 'invisible' disability.  My employer sent me to Occupational Health following diagnosis, who more or less said that I was autistic and should be given the recommended adjustments including not answering telephones and not answering queries from the public.

You should also remember that other adjustments may become necessary in the future as job roles alter, and new things may affect you at work.  So you should also say (or get a support worker to say for you) that problems will be prevented if any changes are discussed with you beforehand and that this is meaningful discussion (not of the nature from the employer 'this is what we have decided you should do'.)   The one person though who knows most about your conditon and how you are affected is you, and this is why you need an advocate of some sort who you can discuss things with and put them to your management.  That will prevent much anxiety in the future.

Children
No Data