Access To Work - Support to Assist Returning to Work

Hi,

I have been off work eight weeks, with stress, anxiety, and depression. My employer has said I need to do a performance improvement plan for a month, and if I don't meet the required standard, I will lose my job. They have said they do not expect me to succeed. I was put in contact with a local organisation to support me returning to work, even if I lose my job they may be able to help negotiate things with my employer to reduce the impact this will have on me. This organisation asked me to contact "Access for Work" to get funding for their services. "Access for Work" have said they need 3 different quotes and a break down of the tasks required and time.

So I have one quote, do you know of any other organisations I can ask for a quote to support me with my employer for the performance improvement plan and negotiating with my employer ?

Random

• Hi, thanks very much for lengthy reply, that is useful. Remploy did get in touch with me and I accepted their help. I fear I should not have accepted now, and maybe that's why I am being asked for quotes. Not sure how to move forward

Random

• Hi Random

Sorry if this is not very helpful to you, and they may have changed things, but I did not need three quotes or anything like it.

I contacted Access to Work, filled in the online form and they contacted me to say that Capita (in a totally different guise to that employed by PIP) sent this very nice chap over and interviewed me at work.  He took copies of a report from the psychologist who assessed me and who I had asked if he could put something in writing to say how I was affected by being autistic in the workplace.  He also took copies of my Occupational Health report and a report from Autism West Midlands whom I had also been in contact with.  A few days later I got a report to say that I had been recommended for funding for a support worker and some training for work, together with recommendations for adjustments that work should provide.

Access to work then decided that the support would be provided by Remploy, but as I had already been to see Autism West Midlands,  I said this would be my preferred organisation and that was accepted without question.  After a few months, my support worker thought that I needed some more support, this was put to Access to Work who again accepted it without question.

At no time was it indicated that it was necessary for me to obtain any 'quotes' at all.  And as the support network for adults is very sparse in the first place, I would think it is very difficult to obtain 'quotes' from different services where alternatives don't exist.  But Remploy are definitely an approved supplier so if ultimately you did need another quote, that may be an avenue to explore.

Access to Work have their own list of approved providers and they should find one for you.

If you have not applied online to Access to Work, this is the action I would take in your position.  Complete the form (it was very simple) and submit it.  If you still have problems, I would contact your MP, they are usually very helpful in such circumstances and will ensure that they get the answers.

Once I had completed the form, I had very little to do.  All finances for me are sorted out by Autism West Midlands, and they were in contact and arranged everything.  It is just possible that your employer would object to the adjustments and not agree to the support recommended, but that would give you a very strong case ultimately at a tribunal.

As far as 'meeting the required standard' at work is concerned, the usual standards should be relaxed in accordance with the equality act, to negate the disadvantages you face.  Once again your report from your autism assessment may be of use for this. But anyway, you will only have to say how you are affected by autism which prevents you from enjoying what could be considered 'normal everyday activities' at home or in the workplace to show the disadvantage.  For example, sensory overload caused by noises at work, activity, distractions, smells (are you near a kitchen for example), bright lights, do you misunderstand what others say on occasions, literal thinking, not enjoying social contact, find it difficult to engage with others in certain ways, forgetful, liable to anxiety and stress, need a quiet space, dislike crowds, are you 'clumsy', do you need to 'stim', have you communication difficulties, do you lack eye contact ... any of these and more can be used to show that you are covered by the Equality Act for your employer.  But Access to Work will not require 'proof' as such, just saying should be sufficient.

If you don't understand some of the questions on the Access to Work form, don't worry.  I know I answered some questions in a different way to that expected because I misunderstood them, so if you misinterpret a question don't worry.  It may even help your case!

A union representative may also be able to help you in asking for adjustments from your employer.  My experience of management is that you need all the help you can when talking with them because they will always try to argue that adjustments you are asking for are not reasonable.  Try to have some idea of what adjustments you may like - perhaps an adjustment to your hours of work  so you can start and finish earlier with the same hours, working in a different area with fewer distractions, resiting your desk, being allowed some 'quiet time' during the day when you feel you are becoming stressed, adjusting targets, etc. Although I did get adjustments, the final one only came after nearly two years three weeks ago - moving to a much quieter office in another building a short distance away.  Remember, adjustments are permanent, but this does not stop you from asking for more later if circumstances change.  And a support worker might help you get an 'understanding agreement' where it is recognised at times you may become agitated, you may stim and you will be allowed short periods of 'quiet time'.

Hope this has been of some use.