Disgusted

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/resources/asperger-united/new-name.aspx

If the folk at the NAS are so easily swayed by some whiny emoting from a tiny minority of folk that seek to deny history, I don't know that I can be bothered to read the thing any more. 

There was nothing wrong with the old name. It matched my diagnosis. 

To avoid a load of pointless arguing, no, I really don't care what Asperger did, or whether he ate peeled, salted babies for his breakfast. 

On a balance scale between logic and fact, versus the emotional burden of the entire human race throughout history, logic and facts must tip the scales every single time, or humanity is lost. 

Yes, some people won't like it. So what?

Parents
  • I'd give this more like's if I could, well said. I'm also worried that other aspects of research that have been done may be tainted by this decision. The Herwig Czech guy that started this all basically attacked Uta Frith based on her not having the information about Asperger before she formed an opinion to write a book about him nearly 30 years ago despite the information only recently being unearthed. If she didn't have the information how can she be attacked, never the less he pointed fingers at her. More concerningly some of her peers joined in.

He's a real example of what today's knee-jerk "intelligencia" stands for. He seems just as obsessed with identity politics as the Nazi's. Apparently the guy that found out the benefits of Levdopa for Parkinson's Disease is supposed to be thrown into the trash bin of history too, even though his research was done in the 1960's way after WW2. Psychology and neurology are sciences. Ideology and scientific logic generally don't mix too well. Religion told us the world was flat, that the Earth was the centre of the universe, a man flew to heaven on a horse and split the moon in half. Woe forbid the "heretics" too. Ironically he is displaying the same ideals the Nazi's did by using identity politics to influence scientific study and history. He's a hypocrite and so are the tub thumpers. The only history he will ever make is forcing revisionism. He's a talentless hack.

I have Jewish heritige. I also have Aspergers. Pretty much two strikes or supposed "causes" to shriek about how I want it changed. I don't it's took long enough for people to even know what Asperger's Syndrome is. If they change the name, it will take how long for most people to understand it again? Logically it could cause setbacks. I will continue to use the term.

Yes, some people won't like it.

Probably the same people that will get all pissed when the general public don't understand what the new name is. Be careful what you wish for.

• I don't it's took long enough for people to even know what Asperger's Syndrome is. If they change the name, it will take how long for most people to understand it again? Logically it could cause setbacks. I will continue to use the term.

This is exactly why I don't want it changed either. At the end of the day, undoing what progress we've achieved in the way of autism awareness is SO not worth it, however many dodgy things Asperger the person did (especially because when the average person hears the word "Asperger", you think of the ASC, not the human; so it's barely memorialising him at all at this point. The word has changed its meaning over time) and I've written to the NAS saying as such.

• I don't it's took long enough for people to even know what Asperger's Syndrome is. If they change the name, it will take how long for most people to understand it again? Logically it could cause setbacks. I will continue to use the term.

This is exactly why I don't want it changed either. At the end of the day, undoing what progress we've achieved in the way of autism awareness is SO not worth it, however many dodgy things Asperger the person did (especially because when the average person hears the word "Asperger", you think of the ASC, not the human; so it's barely memorialising him at all at this point. The word has changed its meaning over time) and I've written to the NAS saying as such.

Children
  • I totally agree. Most people have only began to understand Asperger's. I have been asked by "medical professionals" such questions as "How long have you had Aspergers?", "What symptoms does Aspergers cause?", "Do you ever think that you will get better?" and one "psychiatrist" even told me that there is a cure! He said that after telling me he didn't know much about the condition. I've also recieved a letter recently saying "Cloudy suffers from a number of mental illnesses including Atypical Autism (which I don't have and he has my diagnosis)". My mental health trust is terrible but that's another story which I will tell when the whole thing has played out. I'm just using this as an example to demonstrate how the public awareness has only gained momentum in recent years.

We all have to try to get things like workplace adjustments, mental health care, benefits, and stuff of the like. The staff and the systems that process and/or provide services for us are only just starting to get up to speed. My mental health trust hasn't even got an option for AS on it's system. They are intergrating an option as we speak. A name change is impractical and would only serve to appease a small minority, who contain people who aren't even on the spectrum.

At the moment the name is really all about practicality as well as maintaining the momentum in awareness.