Library Etiquette

I always use the self service machines when I'm borrowing or returning books. If there is a member of the library staff free at the desk when I use the machines they will tut at me. Is that an unwritten rule of the library? If the librarian is free borrow your books at the desk? Life is so complicated. I find I have to wait till the librarian is busy with another customer before I use the machines or sometimes I just return home bookless and exhausted.

Parents
  • I am sorry you experienced this discomfort. I have experienced anxiety at my library also. I don’t think there is anything wrong with using the self service machines even if there is someone free at the desk; and they shouldn’t make any patrons feel uncomfortable for using a provided service. Perhaps you could leave a polite feedback card briefly explaining this situation anonymously next time you visit? They may take it on board and be more accommodating and aware; and if it happens again then you can rule out the particular librarian just having a bad day! Please let us know what happens. 

• Agree, you should not be subjected to 'tutting' for your choice of how you use the library.

Reply Children
No Data