Library Etiquette

I always use the self service machines when I'm borrowing or returning books. If there is a member of the library staff free at the desk when I use the machines they will tut at me. Is that an unwritten rule of the library? If the librarian is free borrow your books at the desk? Life is so complicated. I find I have to wait till the librarian is busy with another customer before I use the machines or sometimes I just return home bookless and exhausted.

Parents
  • Don't worry about it. If you are polite and courteous you really have nothing to worry about. It's not a question of etiquette. They are paid to do the job and you are a customer, library or not, the fact that people visit the library keeps them paid. I wouldn't let it make you anxious. It's not like they are important to you and they you are to them. Knowing most people in service they will have forgotten about it within minutes if not sooner.

Maybe the self-service machines will make their jobs obsolete. That's what they need to consider when they are acting rude. Less people will want to deal with them.

• Don't worry about it. If you are polite and courteous you really have nothing to worry about. It's not a question of etiquette. They are paid to do the job and you are a customer, library or not, the fact that people visit the library keeps them paid. I wouldn't let it make you anxious. It's not like they are important to you and they you are to them. Knowing most people in service they will have forgotten about it within minutes if not sooner.

Maybe the self-service machines will make their jobs obsolete. That's what they need to consider when they are acting rude. Less people will want to deal with them.

Children
No Data