Autism assessment - ADOS Module 4

I recently went through the ADOS module 4 autism assessment and am wondering what they were looking for.  It involved some story telling (around pictures of flying frogs and some objects to bring in to another story), looking at and talking about a kind of child's map and explaining how to brush your teeth.  The thing is, I'm 55 and can, I think do these things rather well.  I'm perfectly used to making up bedtime stories to children and explaining everyday tasks.  I also have a great deal of experience of masking and surviving in the workplace and I'm fairly sure my responses to these questions and tasks would have look at whole lot more autistic when I was in my teens before I developed a whole rake of coping strategies.  I'm the same person, however.  Can I be confident that the assessment result can be reliable? 

Parents
  • The flying frogs!!!   I remember that at my assessment.

Did they also ask you to do a jigsaw made from regular rubber pieces and then refuse to give you all the pieces to try to get you to have a meltdown?

At the very start of the assessment they warned me that the exercises were aimed at young children.  And they would adjust the interpretation to take into account that I was an adult.

• God! That sounds horrendous and really stressful. So glad I had the DISCO model.

Reply Children
No Data