Going through the process of getting diagnosed - worried

Hi

im new to online forum things so sorry if I shouldn’t be writing on here.

i am 38 years old and have always felt different, life felt like one big act which can be very draining. 

Recently everything seemed to come crashing down and I have had a really bad 18 months, things are getting better now but my GP who is very understanding felt that I maybe autistic. This didn’t come as a surprise as it has been mentioned to me in the past, however after hospital visits and reading documentation sent I am getting stressed.

i have been online to learn more and am finding some are saying a formal diagnosis is a relief and others are saying it is the worst thing they have ever done. I am now scared, stressed and constantly worrying about this. I am hoping some others who have been through this can help me decide if to continue or stop the process.

any help would be really appreciated 

thank you in advance 

Parents
  • Hi all

i just wanted to say thank you to all of you that have replied with advice and your stories, they have all been really helpful.

i am sorry I didn’t respond straight away to everybody I ended up having a bit of a meltdown and anything I would have replied wouldn’t have been constructive.

This is one of the reasons I was unsure if to continue with the diagnosis. My GP who 1st raised her suspicions ( if that’s the right word) is really approachable and I’m sure she would put my mind at rest but I unfortunately have a new GP who just doesn’t get me and referred me to mental health nurses. I didn’t understand why I was there and felt I wasn’t getting anything from seeing them. They said they didn’t know anything about autism and that was the last time it was mentioned. They said they were going to discharge me and I just thought they had realised that wasn’t the help I needed. I was fine with this until I got a letter discharging me and it is just full of what I believe to lies. I found this really distressing and wanted this changing on my records so I had to contact the hospital. In fairness to the nurse she called me back herself to go through what she had wrote, she even agreed to change a few things and said maybe she misunderstood. I am not a shouter and can not really argue so the conversation was fairly calm apart from some frustration on my part but the call ended abruptly with me been accused of offending / upsetting the nurse. 

I do struggle to understand people’s feelings but I do feel it when I have upset somebody more than others so always do what I can to avoid upsetting somebody. I feel I did nothing wrong I just explained what I disagreed with and I was told you have offended me. I apologised and said that was not my intention and tried explain why I was upset and again I was told she was offendended. I again apologised and said that I didn’t know what to do as I wanted to complain about 5he inaccurate records but everything I raised she said she was offended, I politely asked  how I should complain as not to upset her and she said she was putting the phone down and will get somebody else to call me back. Nobody called me so I just feel lost.

All I want is somebody to talk me through the diagnosis, my symptoms and what will happen moving forward. Everybody on here has been great but I just feel I should just pull out if no medical person wil help.

All the advise given on here is great but I feel I need reassurance from a medical person I’m doing the right thing. I’m so upset I have offended the nurse as that is the last thing I would want to do and just feel I must be a horrible person and I’m just hiding behind the possibility of autism.

so sorry to rant just lost and needed to get it off my chest x 

• All I want is somebody to talk me through the diagnosis, my symptoms and what will happen moving forward. Everybody on here has been great but I just feel I should just pull out if no medical person wil help.

All the advise given on here is great but I feel I need reassurance from a medical person I’m doing the right thing. I’m so upset I have offended the nurse as that is the last thing I would want to do and just feel I must be a horrible person and I’m just hiding behind the possibility of autism.

i totally understand your frustration a desire to seek reassurance from a medical person.

One pertinent function of the forum is that it highlights massively the gaps in services and the needs that we have, such as:

1. Support on parenting
    2. diagnostic support and post diagnostic guidance
    3. Mental health and psychological support 
    4. Guidance on comorbid conditions 
    5. employment and the workplace
    6. Benefit entitlement
    7. relationships whether with family or romantic
    8. accessing services
    9. etc etc etc

are there any other GPS at your local practice? Again that is asking you to bend, rather than them Disappointed

• Hi

thank you for your reply’s all have been helpful.. just feeling a bit lost.

yes there are other GPS at the surgery and the one who referred me and who I trust is still there but I was told I can not see them anymore. They have told me I have done nothing wrong it is just a decision made at the surgery. I find meeting new people hard but they did give me my old dr. My old doctor made some mistakes many years ago for my physical condition which had a big impact so I don’t feel great seeing him.

i didn’t kick off but I did complain when they moved me to my old doctor so if I ask to be moved again I’m worried they will stope treating me and I will have to find a new dr. I will struggle with that. I don’t like the waiting rooms I find them noisy and the lighting is just stressful but my old GP used to let me check in on the machine and then go wait into the corridor, she knew where I was and it was no issue. It was her who suggested once I go wait there. My dentist also is great, she has no idea I have issues well that’s probably not true I think she may suspect as she has commented on she will no where I am sat when they come to call me in, she also comes and gets me herself if it’s not the normal nurse. She explains everything to me really simply and I trust her. It’s strange really as it’s. Like she just knows yet neither of us have said anything.

sorry to ramble 

thank you again 

• Hi

thank you for your reply’s all have been helpful.. just feeling a bit lost.

yes there are other GPS at the surgery and the one who referred me and who I trust is still there but I was told I can not see them anymore. They have told me I have done nothing wrong it is just a decision made at the surgery. I find meeting new people hard but they did give me my old dr. My old doctor made some mistakes many years ago for my physical condition which had a big impact so I don’t feel great seeing him.

i didn’t kick off but I did complain when they moved me to my old doctor so if I ask to be moved again I’m worried they will stope treating me and I will have to find a new dr. I will struggle with that. I don’t like the waiting rooms I find them noisy and the lighting is just stressful but my old GP used to let me check in on the machine and then go wait into the corridor, she knew where I was and it was no issue. It was her who suggested once I go wait there. My dentist also is great, she has no idea I have issues well that’s probably not true I think she may suspect as she has commented on she will no where I am sat when they come to call me in, she also comes and gets me herself if it’s not the normal nurse. She explains everything to me really simply and I trust her. It’s strange really as it’s. Like she just knows yet neither of us have said anything.

sorry to ramble 

thank you again 

Children
No Data