Getting a diagnosis as an adult

Hello I’m new to the forum. I’m looking for advice and am interested to find anyone who has had a similar experience to me. 

I am a 27 year old female and am considering seeking professional advice as I believe I have traits and characteristics that would place me on the autistic spectrum. It is something I have wondered about for a while but have put off going to the doctors. 

Can anyone share their experience of being diagnosed as an adult, especially any other women? Was it difficult to get the right help and advice? Did your GP take you seriously? Is it a relief to have a diagnosis?

Thank you

Parents
  • I was just diagnosed a month ago (in my 40s). I went private as the NHS waiting list is 18 months. In my region (SWest) I could self refer rather than going through my GP, although I did discuss it with him and he supported my referring.

I had taken several online test first to gain an idea of whether i did fit an AS profile and they conformed I did. I would recommend you do a couple of these.

From start to finish my whole assessment process was extremely efficient. I am very glad I did it, and am happy with my diagnosis.

• I was just diagnosed a month ago (in my 40s). I went private as the NHS waiting list is 18 months. In my region (SWest) I could self refer rather than going through my GP, although I did discuss it with him and he supported my referring.

I had taken several online test first to gain an idea of whether i did fit an AS profile and they conformed I did. I would recommend you do a couple of these.

From start to finish my whole assessment process was extremely efficient. I am very glad I did it, and am happy with my diagnosis.

Children
No Data