Noisy Restaurants

I am sure this has been talked about many times before, but who else finds that restaurants are getting worse in terms of noise?

It is so hard to find nice quiet places now.  I cannot even go to places like Pizza Express anymore. 

Damon

Parents
  • I have long suspected the same thing. Going out to restaurants has the capacity to bother me in ways that it never used to. 

I've always wondered whether trends in interior design may be at least partially responsible for this. When I was younger, I suspect more pubs and restaurants were furnished with materials that would absorb some of the sound waves, and effectively deaden the background noise. There were probably more carpets and curtains, fabric chairs, tablecloths and the like. These days, there seem to be simpler furnishings, and the use of more materials like glass and metal. It looks more modern, but it must completely alter the acoustics of a room. I suspect the other part of the problem, is that once the background noise rises, you _have_ to speak more loudly to be heard, thus raising the noise level for everyone else. And so it goes.

I totally agree with ElepantInTheRoom that timing is everything. There are places I can tolerate for a quieter lunch that I could not imagine going to on a Friday night. 

(I'm in my 40s. I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and recently referred for an autism spectrum diagnosis.)

• I have long suspected the same thing. Going out to restaurants has the capacity to bother me in ways that it never used to. 

I've always wondered whether trends in interior design may be at least partially responsible for this. When I was younger, I suspect more pubs and restaurants were furnished with materials that would absorb some of the sound waves, and effectively deaden the background noise. There were probably more carpets and curtains, fabric chairs, tablecloths and the like. These days, there seem to be simpler furnishings, and the use of more materials like glass and metal. It looks more modern, but it must completely alter the acoustics of a room. I suspect the other part of the problem, is that once the background noise rises, you _have_ to speak more loudly to be heard, thus raising the noise level for everyone else. And so it goes.

I totally agree with ElepantInTheRoom that timing is everything. There are places I can tolerate for a quieter lunch that I could not imagine going to on a Friday night. 

(I'm in my 40s. I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and recently referred for an autism spectrum diagnosis.)

Children
No Data