Noisy Restaurants

I am sure this has been talked about many times before, but who else finds that restaurants are getting worse in terms of noise?

It is so hard to find nice quiet places now.  I cannot even go to places like Pizza Express anymore. 

Damon

Parents
  • I've always had a problem with them. All the things that have been discussed here I totally agree with. There are other things that I find uncomfortable. The lighting being a big obstacle for me. I can't do flourescent lighting, the sensation is akin to pain. I hate it when they play music too, if I wanted to listen to music I'd go to a ******* club. Service that is either too slow or too pushy. All of it contributes to anxiety. I also like to see the kitchen from the restaurant, then they have nothing to hide.

The trial and error thing for me was fuelled by a lot of alcohol. I couldn't have done it sober. I don't eat out as often as I used to. Rarely, but I've found my regular places.

In my experiences avoid buffets, far too noisy, even though I do enjoy a nice Chinese buffet. Themed restaurants, I don't mean themed as in the origin of the food. I mean where they really run with a theme and go out of control. Too noisy and full of people who like to be noticed. Upmarket restaurants. My dad used to supply to them, so occasionally I could get a squeeze. I also have family involved in that type of restaurant. They are full of *** and cokeheads that think that they are the belle of the ball and think they need to be noticed. The worst for noise and bad service. Just because you are in a Michelin starred restaurant doesn't mean you are on a stage. Just because you work there doesn't mean you are a celebrity. Prats. Fast food restaurants are pretty much out of the question because of the lighting. I just get my stuff and go. Besides it's not really a dining experience there.

Things I can recommend. Small family run places. Niche ethnic restaurants. Country pubs. I'm lucky to have found a few regular places I like and everyone who goes with me does. A Morroccan place with a really nice ambience. The lighting is ideal and the clientele is pretty laid back. It's BYOB so you save a lot on drinks. It's ran by a Morroccan family and the food smacks of genuine home cooking. The service is attentive but not overly so. You can see the kitchen. A Japanese place which is pretty much the same apart from BYOB. A pub just a few miles outside the city limits that mainly has regulars who go there everyday and are farmers or farm workers. No one can be a *** because they will get barred and as it's their local, they behave. Great food, dimly lit and reserved customers. It's ran by old people who have that sort of old person understatement. Everything is cooked from scratch too. Here's a big, big godsend though. PRIVATE ROOMS! There are quite a few restaurants in the city, mainly Chinatown, that have private rooms. If there are quite a few of you get one. It only costs fractionally more. You get better service, less noise and you can do what you want.

I'd say look online at reviews, pictures and ask around. There's a sort of code there too, you can look at a restaurant and tell by certain things what the place will be like. If I'm in doubt I suggest somewhere else. I'm lucky that most of the people I eat out with like to go to the same places everytime. I think it's not just an Autistic thing. Most people I know don't want bedlam when they eat. Restaurants aren't nightclubs! BTW Pizza Express was a place I liked too!

• I've always had a problem with them. All the things that have been discussed here I totally agree with. There are other things that I find uncomfortable. The lighting being a big obstacle for me. I can't do flourescent lighting, the sensation is akin to pain. I hate it when they play music too, if I wanted to listen to music I'd go to a ******* club. Service that is either too slow or too pushy. All of it contributes to anxiety. I also like to see the kitchen from the restaurant, then they have nothing to hide.

The trial and error thing for me was fuelled by a lot of alcohol. I couldn't have done it sober. I don't eat out as often as I used to. Rarely, but I've found my regular places.

In my experiences avoid buffets, far too noisy, even though I do enjoy a nice Chinese buffet. Themed restaurants, I don't mean themed as in the origin of the food. I mean where they really run with a theme and go out of control. Too noisy and full of people who like to be noticed. Upmarket restaurants. My dad used to supply to them, so occasionally I could get a squeeze. I also have family involved in that type of restaurant. They are full of *** and cokeheads that think that they are the belle of the ball and think they need to be noticed. The worst for noise and bad service. Just because you are in a Michelin starred restaurant doesn't mean you are on a stage. Just because you work there doesn't mean you are a celebrity. Prats. Fast food restaurants are pretty much out of the question because of the lighting. I just get my stuff and go. Besides it's not really a dining experience there.

Things I can recommend. Small family run places. Niche ethnic restaurants. Country pubs. I'm lucky to have found a few regular places I like and everyone who goes with me does. A Morroccan place with a really nice ambience. The lighting is ideal and the clientele is pretty laid back. It's BYOB so you save a lot on drinks. It's ran by a Morroccan family and the food smacks of genuine home cooking. The service is attentive but not overly so. You can see the kitchen. A Japanese place which is pretty much the same apart from BYOB. A pub just a few miles outside the city limits that mainly has regulars who go there everyday and are farmers or farm workers. No one can be a *** because they will get barred and as it's their local, they behave. Great food, dimly lit and reserved customers. It's ran by old people who have that sort of old person understatement. Everything is cooked from scratch too. Here's a big, big godsend though. PRIVATE ROOMS! There are quite a few restaurants in the city, mainly Chinatown, that have private rooms. If there are quite a few of you get one. It only costs fractionally more. You get better service, less noise and you can do what you want.

I'd say look online at reviews, pictures and ask around. There's a sort of code there too, you can look at a restaurant and tell by certain things what the place will be like. If I'm in doubt I suggest somewhere else. I'm lucky that most of the people I eat out with like to go to the same places everytime. I think it's not just an Autistic thing. Most people I know don't want bedlam when they eat. Restaurants aren't nightclubs! BTW Pizza Express was a place I liked too!

Children
No Data