Noisy Restaurants

I am sure this has been talked about many times before, but who else finds that restaurants are getting worse in terms of noise?

It is so hard to find nice quiet places now.  I cannot even go to places like Pizza Express anymore. 

Damon

Parents
  • I totally agree Damon. A lot of places seem to be open plan and echoey. The biggest problem is people who don't know how to moderate their own voices. It only takes one table full of people, perhaps a bit drunk, who feel the need to have a full-volume conversation and within 10 minutes everyone in the restaurant is yelling at their companions, trying to make themselves heard above the din.

For those of us who are very sound sensitive, this makes for a really uncomfortable experience. I also find that given my brain's annoying habit of attempting to process every single thing that I hear, indiscriminately, this often means that I find it pretty much impossible to follow any conversation on my table, because the rest of the noise intrudes so much that I can't focus on it. It is also knackering processing that much! Add to that the people who think it's OK to let their kids run around screaming and it's pretty hellish.

I've even found this a problem in pubs lately. I don't know why people think they need to shout. And that's before you get onto unwanted music over the top of all the other noises! I used to go for pub lunches with family, but I mostly cook at home now because I end up a nervous wreck if I spend too long being bombarded with other people's racket.

Have you managed to find anywhere reasonably quiet? (only asking because I live in Surrey too!)

• For those of us who are very sound sensitive, this makes for a really uncomfortable experience. I also find that given my brain's annoying habit of attempting to process every single thing that I hear, indiscriminately, this often means that I find it pretty much impossible to follow any conversation on my table, because the rest of the noise intrudes so much that I can't focus on it.

I totally get that! I spent a whole lunch out with my OH not being able to hear a word he was saying and he was right opposite me! Not a bad thing in some ways? (lol) but indeed a frustration.

• embarrassing too, because then people think you are bored / not paying attention / being stand-offish when in fact you just eventually give up trying to hear what's being said, because it's too difficult

• embarrassing too, because then people think you are bored / not paying attention / being stand-offish when in fact you just eventually give up trying to hear what's being said, because it's too difficult

Children
  • People always think that I am bored, not paying attention and being stand-offish! hehe!

Restaurants can be like horrible school canteens, being herded into a cow shed to eat at the trough allocated to you..

Timing is crucial.... can I eat lunch at 3pm, or an evening meal at 5pm to miss the busier times..?