Lost and asking for help

• Where to start...

I have always struggled with daily life and have come to realise that maybe something is not quite right with me. I have been looking on the internet and it appears that I have a lot of autistic characteristics.   I have done an online test and scored 41 out of 50.

My GP surgery have agreed to refer me on so I can be assessed for autism.  I don't know if I'm autistic but its a case of needing to start somewhere on this journey.  I have also thought that it might be depression, OCD or a combination of things.

Probably not giving you a lot to go on but just wanted to get the post up and running.  Any questions please ask.

I'm looking for any thoughts, tips, help,  ideas on where to go next.

I'm 50 and male by the way.

Cheers

Mark

Parents
  • Hi all. Hope you dont mind me joining in but this seems to be the most relevant discussion for my question.

I am 48. I have an appointment with my gp next week to ask for a referral for diagnosis. My psychotherapist thinks I am HFA. I am beginning to think about not going. What would people say is the benefit of diagnosis. I am aware i am beginning to feel more and more isolated the older I get. I am not sure if I am hfa or not. It would explain a lot but will a diagnosis help? What have others experienced?

• What have you got to lose by being diagnosed ?  Personally, and having only just been diagnosed, it creates a sense of relief (or did in my head) because you can then start finding reasons for things, that you are not mad but look at things in a different way.  You can then start to read up and find that you are not alone, whilst you might be in a minority you are certainly not alone and others think the same way, have the same issues and find ways to cope with the confused world around.    I feel great having a diagnosis but it doesn't change me from the person I was before, just perhaps will help other people understand me in the future.  

Reply Children
No Data