Lost and asking for help

• Where to start...

I have always struggled with daily life and have come to realise that maybe something is not quite right with me. I have been looking on the internet and it appears that I have a lot of autistic characteristics.   I have done an online test and scored 41 out of 50.

My GP surgery have agreed to refer me on so I can be assessed for autism.  I don't know if I'm autistic but its a case of needing to start somewhere on this journey.  I have also thought that it might be depression, OCD or a combination of things.

Probably not giving you a lot to go on but just wanted to get the post up and running.  Any questions please ask.

I'm looking for any thoughts, tips, help,  ideas on where to go next.

I'm 50 and male by the way.

Cheers

Mark

Parents
  • Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

Keep checking back on this forum - it has been invaluable for me up to now as a resource to check and I am now starting to contribute and respond to posts after a few months.

I strongly suspected I was on the spectrum 10 years ago but only this year decided to go for a referral.  Up to the point of going to my GP I revisited the tests but looked in other areas (such as anxiety, OCD, SPD, etc.) before putting together the information to show the doctor.  This was a combination of other online test but also watching this forum, reading (Tony Attwood & Chris Packham) and watching youtube videos from the following (not an exhaustive list) to get more background on adults on the spectrum....

• Animish
    • Anna Moomin 
    • The Aspie World
    • Invisible I
    • TED (Alix Generous / Simon Baron-Cohen / Temple Grandin / Carrie Beckwith-Fellows / Elisabeth Wiklander)
    • ADUK (Chris Packham BBC documentary on autism)

MY GP referred me, we completed the referral application and, just today, I have received the information pack to complete so that an assessment can be scheduled.

And age is no barrier (or it shouldn't be).  I'm a 59 year old male and there are others that I know with similar late diagnosis.

Hope this helps

• Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

Keep checking back on this forum - it has been invaluable for me up to now as a resource to check and I am now starting to contribute and respond to posts after a few months.

I strongly suspected I was on the spectrum 10 years ago but only this year decided to go for a referral.  Up to the point of going to my GP I revisited the tests but looked in other areas (such as anxiety, OCD, SPD, etc.) before putting together the information to show the doctor.  This was a combination of other online test but also watching this forum, reading (Tony Attwood & Chris Packham) and watching youtube videos from the following (not an exhaustive list) to get more background on adults on the spectrum....

• Animish
    • Anna Moomin 
    • The Aspie World
    • Invisible I
    • TED (Alix Generous / Simon Baron-Cohen / Temple Grandin / Carrie Beckwith-Fellows / Elisabeth Wiklander)
    • ADUK (Chris Packham BBC documentary on autism)

MY GP referred me, we completed the referral application and, just today, I have received the information pack to complete so that an assessment can be scheduled.

And age is no barrier (or it shouldn't be).  I'm a 59 year old male and there are others that I know with similar late diagnosis.

Hope this helps

Children
  • It all helps, especially to know that people my age and older are looking for or getting a diagnosis

Thanks for the youtube pointers.

Will keep checking the forum as you suggest.

Thank you.