Lost and asking for help

• Where to start...

I have always struggled with daily life and have come to realise that maybe something is not quite right with me. I have been looking on the internet and it appears that I have a lot of autistic characteristics.   I have done an online test and scored 41 out of 50.

My GP surgery have agreed to refer me on so I can be assessed for autism.  I don't know if I'm autistic but its a case of needing to start somewhere on this journey.  I have also thought that it might be depression, OCD or a combination of things.

Probably not giving you a lot to go on but just wanted to get the post up and running.  Any questions please ask.

I'm looking for any thoughts, tips, help,  ideas on where to go next.

I'm 50 and male by the way.

Cheers

Mark

Parents Reply Children
  • You are welcome Mark, there has been a lot of help from others towards me (I am also new here), so it is nice to be able to help you

• Yes I think my coping strategies have stopped working, if they ever actually worked. I am also looking for answers.

I also appear to get by and that may be part of the problem. I think because I dont go into meltdown people just think I should carry on as I am and stop trying to get a diagnosis.

I plan to stick around if the community will have me. You and Phil have already been really helpful. Thank you.

• I had the epiphany last year and joined the forum seeking fellow women on the spectrum. I have taught a great many students on the spectrum and joined the dots.

One the masking and coping strategies no longer seem to work you are left with a self that seeks answers and I sought them.

After a great deal of research, doing various online assessments I identify with the condition and was seeking to save up for a private assessment. Waiting times can be long and I wanted to waste no further time and start the next chapter of my journey.

I have a husband who is poorly and used a lot of our local doctors time (justifiably) I also felt guilty of wasting resource in that I "function" and get by albeit badly at times.

We now have a new doctor who called me up yesterday. So the request came via a phone call which suited me best. I was also put on the spot (I was not expecting the call so didn't have all of that anxiety leading up to a meeting).  If it was face to face then I think I would have clammed up (don't think the phone call was easy either). When face to face you read the face and body language and I think it would have been more difficult.

Can I just say though, the community here has been a godsend and if you stick around kid you will see that people are able to talk freely and not be judged. We are all at different points in our journey and we look out for each other.