Adult ASD and occ health

Hi,

I had been to a private psychiatrist who said he thinks I have aspergers.  He then wrote to my gp to recommend I be referred to the diagnostic team.

In the meantime I had mentioned this in my review at work as part of the well-being part.  Since this I have regretted it.  They have brought it up at every review.  At present I have been working in my job role for 5 years and recently changed post.  So I have managed to get this far.  

Now they want to refer me to occ health to see how they can help, but I have already stated that I am enjoying my new post and am finding no issues.  I have possibly jumped he gun in telling them.  I don’t know what to do now for the referral to me seems pointless.  Is this referral a necessary step they have to take when I have told them I’m not having any difficulty?  I just feel vulnerable and put in the spotlight.  

Parents
  • It can be frustrating for the autistic employee and can go the opposite way with some employers. For example, I’ve been in my role 20 plus years with the constant stress, anxiety and difficulties I have in the office due to my autism. I’ve felt like quitting many a time when it’s been too much. I told my boss when I was “officially” diagnosed 3 years ago thinking I may get some help for my struggles in the office and received the reply “what’s the reason you’re telling me?”. It was never mentioned again. I would have welcomed an assessment from OH to see if they could help. Although I appreciate that you state that you feel you have no difficulties so don’t see the point in it. 

• It can be frustrating for the autistic employee and can go the opposite way with some employers. For example, I’ve been in my role 20 plus years with the constant stress, anxiety and difficulties I have in the office due to my autism. I’ve felt like quitting many a time when it’s been too much. I told my boss when I was “officially” diagnosed 3 years ago thinking I may get some help for my struggles in the office and received the reply “what’s the reason you’re telling me?”. It was never mentioned again. I would have welcomed an assessment from OH to see if they could help. Although I appreciate that you state that you feel you have no difficulties so don’t see the point in it. 

Children
No Data