Just got diagnostic report and I scored 7 on the Empathy Test

Hello

I'm really sorry if this is one of the boring questions that gets asked a thousand times.  I got my diangostic report and I scored a 7 on the EQ test.  I know the difference between cognitive, affective and compassionate empathy.

I'm sure that my affective and compassionate empathy is Ok.  I am constantly feeling guilty.  I care about humanity, animals and I have 6 children who are my whole world.  I'm just a bit shocked by this score nevertheless.

I am VERY blunt.  I am very literal and I can't always work out what other people are thinking. Working out what other people are thinking drives me crazy.  I try to avoid doing it and I do what I do.  I also try to stay away from people as much as I possibly can.  I like a few people, thankfully one of them is my husband!!  I experience all emotions except jealousy I don't really ever feel that.

I know the differences between the different kinds of empathy but it's not me I'm worried about.  Other people don't know do they?  Other people are still stuck in the dark ages and think Autistic people are devoid of any feeling.

I've had real mixed feelings about this diagnosis.  At first it was like relief.  Then it was like being liberated but slowly as I realise all the additional 'assumptions' this label is going to bring I'm not sure it's a great thing anymore.  Or at least it is and it isn't.

I was hoping this diagnosis would bring me some understanding.  I'm starting to wonder about that.  Is it just going to bring me even more MISUNDERSTANDING if I share a report with a professional and they see my EQ score is a lowly SEVEN :O 

I don't know, when you stick a label on yourself, suddenly everyone is an expert!!  It's so tedious !

I'm not sure I can take much more misunderstanding to be honest with you!

Parents
  • Ha!

You beat me, well done. 

My score was 6 (out of 80...)

• Well actually for me the score explains an awful lot.  It explains why I'm such a natural at pi**ing people off!!  When I went for my assessment and this was quoted in the diagnostic report !!!  I said "well to be honest if I am not Autistic then the only explanation is that I am just not a very nice person" at which point I cried :(   Actually though this low score does explain why I can do things and just genuinely have a blind spot as to the effect that might have.  I am always very shocked when I've upset people.  My intentions are not to do that.  Most NT don't even tell you do they when you've upset them so you never even get to find out what you've done wrong to do it differently next time.  What a mess it can be!

• Well actually for me the score explains an awful lot.  It explains why I'm such a natural at pi**ing people off!!  When I went for my assessment and this was quoted in the diagnostic report !!!  I said "well to be honest if I am not Autistic then the only explanation is that I am just not a very nice person" at which point I cried :(   Actually though this low score does explain why I can do things and just genuinely have a blind spot as to the effect that might have.  I am always very shocked when I've upset people.  My intentions are not to do that.  Most NT don't even tell you do they when you've upset them so you never even get to find out what you've done wrong to do it differently next time.  What a mess it can be!

Children
No Data