Petition to make neurodiversity a separate protected characteristic in the UK

I promised to do this a while ago, and now I'm finally getting around to it. The petition will be on petition.parliament.uk. The character counts are extremely limited, so it was difficult to provide the needed information in the available space. Please let me know what you think of the text below, because this is for all of us and not just me. Note that the information I have provided (see the links) is also from a government website, so they can't really refute that.

The title of the petition is:

Make neurodiversity a separate protected characteristic.

The background I have written is:

Neurodivergent individuals, e.g. those with autism or Tourette's, often suffer discrimination due to their condition, whether or not their condition amounts to a disabilty. Making neurodiversity a protected characteristic in itself, separate from disability, would be a step in the right direction.

Here are the additional details I have written:

Neurodivergent individuals are denied both fair treatment and mental health services at a higher rate than in the general population. As a result, the unemployment and suicide rates in the neurodivergent group are disproportionately higher as well. Presently, they are obliged to prove that their condition amounts to a disability in order to be legally protected from the discrimination and mistreatment to which they so often fall victim. Further info: tinyurl.com/y829k3oh & tinyurl.com/yavfxmod.

PS I need 5 emails addresses for supporters of the petition, so if anyone is a UK citizen and willing to "officially" support the petition, please PM me. I can likely get some from people I know, but maybe not all five that I need (I don't know many people).

Thanks.

(Edited based on comments received)

Parents
  • I should give more info. Probably there are many people who don't know what is meant by "protected characteristic".

In the UK, there are laws against discrimination, harassment, etc. against individuals based on race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, etc. Those are called "protected characteristics".

Even though we are often bullied and mistreated as part of our day-to-day lives because of our condition, we, as people on the spectrum, or those with ADHD, dyslexia, etc., are protected from this treatment only if we can each legally prove that our condition amounts to a disability under section 6 of the Equality Act (2010). Bullying itself is not actually against the law in this country, unless it is because of one of the protected characteristics.

In order to prove we have a disability, and thus be protected by the law, we have to show that we have a physical or mental impairment that is long-term and has a substantial detrimental impact on our day-to-day activities (almost the exact words used). The first two conditions are satisfied as long as we have been diagnosed (I guess those who are waiting for a diagnosis would have difficulty proving this), but, since autism or other developmental disorders or learning difficulties are so-called "hidden" disabilities (which I assume means that someone can't tell you have it just by looking at you, though for some it is more obvious than others), it is difficult for one to prove the nature and magnitude of the impact one's condition has on one's day-to-day activities. Often, the difficulties we have in our day-to-day activities are caused not by the condition itself, but by the reaction others have to the condition.

What I mean to say is:

The thing which "disables" us is sometimes the discrimination or harassment we suffer because of the condition, whereas we may or may not be "disabled" by the condition itself. Therefore, it is sometimes extremely difficult for us to prove that we are disabled in order to get the protection granted by the Equality Act. That is, we suffer mistreatment and bullying to a greater extent than do neurotypical people, and this treatment is due to our condition, but if an indvidual happens to be unfortunate enough to fall into the grey area of not quite "normal", but not quite impaired enough to be "disabled", that person just has to endure whatever treatment others decide to direct toward him or her, no matter how distressing or unfair it may be.

If neurodiversity were a protected characteristic, the discrimination we suffer because of the intolerance of others to our behaviours, personalities, social difficulties, and other traits of our various types of conditions (e.g.Tourette's, ADHD, dyslexia) would not be legally tolerated and we would not be required to go through the sometimes humiliating process of having to prove that we count as a disabled person according to the Equality Act. That is the purpose of this petition.

• I should give more info. Probably there are many people who don't know what is meant by "protected characteristic".

In the UK, there are laws against discrimination, harassment, etc. against individuals based on race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, etc. Those are called "protected characteristics".

Even though we are often bullied and mistreated as part of our day-to-day lives because of our condition, we, as people on the spectrum, or those with ADHD, dyslexia, etc., are protected from this treatment only if we can each legally prove that our condition amounts to a disability under section 6 of the Equality Act (2010). Bullying itself is not actually against the law in this country, unless it is because of one of the protected characteristics.

In order to prove we have a disability, and thus be protected by the law, we have to show that we have a physical or mental impairment that is long-term and has a substantial detrimental impact on our day-to-day activities (almost the exact words used). The first two conditions are satisfied as long as we have been diagnosed (I guess those who are waiting for a diagnosis would have difficulty proving this), but, since autism or other developmental disorders or learning difficulties are so-called "hidden" disabilities (which I assume means that someone can't tell you have it just by looking at you, though for some it is more obvious than others), it is difficult for one to prove the nature and magnitude of the impact one's condition has on one's day-to-day activities. Often, the difficulties we have in our day-to-day activities are caused not by the condition itself, but by the reaction others have to the condition.

What I mean to say is:

The thing which "disables" us is sometimes the discrimination or harassment we suffer because of the condition, whereas we may or may not be "disabled" by the condition itself. Therefore, it is sometimes extremely difficult for us to prove that we are disabled in order to get the protection granted by the Equality Act. That is, we suffer mistreatment and bullying to a greater extent than do neurotypical people, and this treatment is due to our condition, but if an indvidual happens to be unfortunate enough to fall into the grey area of not quite "normal", but not quite impaired enough to be "disabled", that person just has to endure whatever treatment others decide to direct toward him or her, no matter how distressing or unfair it may be.

If neurodiversity were a protected characteristic, the discrimination we suffer because of the intolerance of others to our behaviours, personalities, social difficulties, and other traits of our various types of conditions (e.g.Tourette's, ADHD, dyslexia) would not be legally tolerated and we would not be required to go through the sometimes humiliating process of having to prove that we count as a disabled person according to the Equality Act. That is the purpose of this petition.

Children