Are things JUST different?

Hello All. 

I was told by my wife today that things are not more difficult for me they are just different... I think word “just” hurt a bit. I agree that “differences” it is better description than illness etc. But aren’t differences more challenging in mainstream society or NT family ? 

I’m curious what you think. Thanks. 

Parents
  • My thought on this is that the way society tries to make us 'conform' is where the difficulties arise.  If left to my own devices I am able to do things my way, think things in the way I want to think, and behave in an unconventional way without affecting other people.

But the near 99% of the population who are neurotypical for some reason want to make us comply with their way of thinking and behave in the way they see as appropriate, even if what we are doing is no concern of theirs.  This is the 'challenge' I have.  We are supposed to 'act' neurotypical and it to have no effect on us.  But of course it does have an effect on us, in frustration, anxiety, depression, and all points between.

• My thought on this is that the way society tries to make us 'conform' is where the difficulties arise.  If left to my own devices I am able to do things my way, think things in the way I want to think, and behave in an unconventional way without affecting other people.

But the near 99% of the population who are neurotypical for some reason want to make us comply with their way of thinking and behave in the way they see as appropriate, even if what we are doing is no concern of theirs.  This is the 'challenge' I have.  We are supposed to 'act' neurotypical and it to have no effect on us.  But of course it does have an effect on us, in frustration, anxiety, depression, and all points between.

Children