Which job sectors do people work in ?

Hi, 

Just out of curiosity, which job sectors do people currently work in, or have worked in, in the past? 

I work in adult social care, specifically learning disabilities /ASC, after exploring numerous other sectors that turned out to be ill suited to my motivation, social and preferred working styles (theatre / film /tv, admin. temping,  call centres (yuck !), harvest work). 

Parents
  • I have a question to those who work from home.

Did you look for positions that offer working from home and got it immediately or later after started your jobs.

I am trying to get working from home from my employer and it is a battle. I would say a war.

They absolutely do not want to hear about that.

• I've been at the same company for 17 years, so we didn't have the ability to work from home when I started, that's only happened in the last few years as technology made it much easier. Also, in I.T. it's really easy to work from home because all the work is on a computer. For my employer, it makes a lot of sense because people can work on the train, or at home, or in other offices, or in a hotel room, so all that time can be made productive.

If I were to go for a job at another company, I would definitely talk to them about the ability to work from home in my interview - because I've experienced the benefits and it really does make people more productive, so I can talk excitedly and with confidence about it. I was unsure when I first started doing it - I mean, logically if people are at home, you can't keep an eye on them and make sure they're not on the Xbox all day - but in reality, we all end up doing more work at home because there's no commute, and you sometimes work through lunch if it's a difficult problem you're trying to solve, and I usually stay on for longer when usually I'd be leaving to catch my bus home. Plus, since we use Skype to communicate you can always see who's on or who's idle. But, mainly, we're empowered and trusted to get on with the work that we know needs doing. Everyone sees the results when the problem is solved and the customer is singing your praises to your boss. Can't do that if you've been playing Call of Duty all day.

• I've been at the same company for 17 years, so we didn't have the ability to work from home when I started, that's only happened in the last few years as technology made it much easier. Also, in I.T. it's really easy to work from home because all the work is on a computer. For my employer, it makes a lot of sense because people can work on the train, or at home, or in other offices, or in a hotel room, so all that time can be made productive.

If I were to go for a job at another company, I would definitely talk to them about the ability to work from home in my interview - because I've experienced the benefits and it really does make people more productive, so I can talk excitedly and with confidence about it. I was unsure when I first started doing it - I mean, logically if people are at home, you can't keep an eye on them and make sure they're not on the Xbox all day - but in reality, we all end up doing more work at home because there's no commute, and you sometimes work through lunch if it's a difficult problem you're trying to solve, and I usually stay on for longer when usually I'd be leaving to catch my bus home. Plus, since we use Skype to communicate you can always see who's on or who's idle. But, mainly, we're empowered and trusted to get on with the work that we know needs doing. Everyone sees the results when the problem is solved and the customer is singing your praises to your boss. Can't do that if you've been playing Call of Duty all day.

Children
No Data