Gender Dysphoria and Aspergers

I am still without a formal diagnosis, though I have an informal "pre-assessment".

I've had Gender Dysphoria thoughts for over 20 years. They sort of come and go in waves, except they're not so much dysphoric about my current gender, as they are a wanting to become the opposite gender.

I need to work out where these feelings come from. With the fact that I do indeed appear to have a pre-assessment informal diagnosis of Aspergers, I need to work out whether this fascination with gender identity is just a special interest/obsession, or whether it is genuine.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of gender therapists are in the best position to work that one out.

U

Parents Reply
  • Cool - I know a lot of people who live alternative lifestyles where they realised 'the norm' was not for them but they don't really identify with the usual prescribed definitions - and there's a lot of pressure to be one thing or another - sort of not being accepted as bi in a gay or straight world.

Children
  • You do know intersex people exists don't you, to form roughly 1.6% of the population to be about as common as red headed people?

Well by the very nature of a person being between sexes means the binary can't apply for that  enforced perhaps conditioned binary to in fact be a bifurcation fallacy given intersex. 

And something else that might interest, Baron-Cohen investigated the most common form of intersex, the xxy  (1:650) of which is more common with the male phenotype for work on his x-linked theory of autism. Where it just so happens the majority of xxy's I have known where we're talking hundreds here also have a prior diagnosis of high functioning autism.

In fact it was through reading Baron-Cohen's theories on autism post ASC diagnosis that I discovered an intersex condition I later came to be  diagnosed with, for I am one of those xxy's

• Never heard the phrase before - but on googling it, I understand it - why?

• Have you heard of the bifurcation fallacy?