Question for adult diagnosees

Hi all,

I'm an adult in England and I had my through-the-NHS assessment a few weeks ago where the psychologist confirmed to me I was autistic.

Since then though I haven't heard or received anything in the post about it either from the assessor or my Doctors so I was wondering how long this usually takes? From what I have read I am meant to be sent a report?

Thank you in advance for any answers

Parents
  • I am an adult female in North Wales who has just been diagnosed  ASD by an NHS psychologist.  I have been promised a written report and was present and included in its creation so I am hopeful!  My GP should also receive a copy.  I'm shocked to read of other people's experiences which seem hugely variable around the country - I feel well supported here with DBT therapy and follow-up appointments.  Personally I suspected the result before it was confirmed after a fair number of tests and interviews.  Obtaining a diagnosis in adulthood is tough but I feel worthwhile and validating.  My advice would be to keep prodding and be persistent, mental health services are hugely overloaded but every individual deserves help and support so don't give up!  I will let you know how long I wait for the "official" report and I agree with others that a summary page would be helpful.

• I am an adult female in North Wales who has just been diagnosed  ASD by an NHS psychologist.  I have been promised a written report and was present and included in its creation so I am hopeful!  My GP should also receive a copy.  I'm shocked to read of other people's experiences which seem hugely variable around the country - I feel well supported here with DBT therapy and follow-up appointments.  Personally I suspected the result before it was confirmed after a fair number of tests and interviews.  Obtaining a diagnosis in adulthood is tough but I feel worthwhile and validating.  My advice would be to keep prodding and be persistent, mental health services are hugely overloaded but every individual deserves help and support so don't give up!  I will let you know how long I wait for the "official" report and I agree with others that a summary page would be helpful.

Children
  • In Leicestershire the Community Mental Health Team have placed all autistic people under the care of social services and treat mental illness as secondary.  The mental health team discharged me as soon as they found out I was autistic and social services did not want to know at first.  Fortunately my GP did find some support but I am having to do most of the caring for myself, including looking for a job, whilst applying for PIP, ESA and HB, none of which has come through yet, although I am promised ESA from next week.