Should I seek a diagnosis or not?

Over the last couple of years I've come to realise that it is very likely that I am autistic/aspergers. In every online test I take I score very highly. My son is autistic and so as I have learnt more about autism I've felt that it would explain a lot of how I am and feel. 

I am now considering seeking a diagnosis but I am unsure whether to go for it and was hoping that some of you may be able to tell me what the benefits might be.

I'm a 38 year old woman, married with 2 young children. I think I am very good at masking outside of home but it takes a huge amount of effort. At home I'm constantly on edge, I wonder if I'm trying not to mask but then being judged for it so not sure who to be. I left work to care for my son but I don't feel I could return because I'm afraid of repeating some horrible experiences I have had there. I'm exhausted and struggling with anxiety, and the fight to get my son the support he needs is taking its toll on me because of all the meetings and phone calls. I am, though, worried that the people in my life who I have difficult relationships with could use a diagnosis to say that all of the problems are just because I'm autistic and not due to any bad behaviour on their part. 

Do you think a diagnosis might help me? If so, in what ways? 

Thank you for taking the time to read this far.

Parents
  • The NAS website has a list of the benefits of getting a diagnosis, which you could consider, or maybe you have already read and still feel unsure. Anyway, here's the link: www.autism.org.uk/.../adults.aspx

I understand the dilemma of not knowing whether a diagnosis would enhance other peoples' understanding or instead backfire and use it to blame all the problems on you. At the end, whether to seek a diagnosis or not, is ultimately your choice. But regardless of whether we have a diagnosis or not, I think we should all try our bests to be the best person we can be. As a student to study hard so that we could put our knowledge to good use in the future; as an employee to work hard and develop products/services that contribute to society; as a friend to be helpful and compassionate; as a parent to provide a warm and caring environment to nourish the next generation. 

• The NAS website has a list of the benefits of getting a diagnosis, which you could consider, or maybe you have already read and still feel unsure. Anyway, here's the link: www.autism.org.uk/.../adults.aspx

I understand the dilemma of not knowing whether a diagnosis would enhance other peoples' understanding or instead backfire and use it to blame all the problems on you. At the end, whether to seek a diagnosis or not, is ultimately your choice. But regardless of whether we have a diagnosis or not, I think we should all try our bests to be the best person we can be. As a student to study hard so that we could put our knowledge to good use in the future; as an employee to work hard and develop products/services that contribute to society; as a friend to be helpful and compassionate; as a parent to provide a warm and caring environment to nourish the next generation. 

Children
No Data