Yay!

Very happy. Got my diagnosis today. At the age of 52, finally. My only regret is that it wasn't picked up when I was at school. I may have left with some qualifications if it had been.

Parents
  • I find your opinion linking autism with school qualifications interesting because I suffered the opposite.

I got the paper qualifications at school while at the same time being socially inadequate and having severe communication difficulties.

Looking back at my school days.  Autism at that time was unknown.  And often I was in a no win situation.

Because of my unusual/strange/unorthodox/inadequate social skills and behaviour.  I was bullied and shunned, called a thicko etc.  And the teachers had low expectations of me, often placing me in the bottom class.

As I got better academically, I was still shunned and bullied and called a weirdo.  This time because I did too well.  When I came top in exams, I was moved to different classes.  The class I was leaving, rejected me even more and the new class never really accept me.  

School was hard.  It was all about survival.  Enough about my problems.

I hope your autism diagnosis leads to a better life.

• Ho Robert. I was ahead at school til about year 8.then fell behind. I have processing difficulties (which weren’t picked up either) I was in top sets because they knew I was bright but learning just didnt work for me. The only things that I was any good at were maths, English language and music. I left with 1 O’level in English at a grade C. I have since done my maths GCSE and am also now a musician in a church worship team.  Although I have learning ‘difficulties’ I am intelligent and logical. I became a member of MENSA after I left school just to prove to myself I’m not thick!

• English was my worst subject at school.  You did better than me.  My best English 'O' level result was a grade D, twice.

Maths was my best subject.  I actually managed 100% in my mock 'A' level pure maths paper.

Reply Children
No Data