Referral worries...

I asked my GP a couple of weeks ago to refer me to be assessed for a possible ASD. She agreed right away and took the giant list I had compiled to include with the referral, and seemed to know what she was doing. I haven't yet had a letter confirming the referral however-feel like I can't properly settle down to wait until I do.

Checked on my online GP portal to make sure it had been done, and it says 'referral to mental health team'. So now I'm additionally worried about whether she has referred me to the wrong place. I meant to specifically check that it was to the local autism spectrum service when I had the appointment, but she disarmed me with how willing she was to refer me and she really did seem confident in doing so, and I forgot (despite having it written down on a piece of paper for her and everything). I don't know if maybe it's just really general on the online portal or it has gone wrong. And I don't know what to do or whether to do anything (make another appointment? Check in with the receptionist at the surgery or leave a message?) Don't want to waste their time-it might be fine-but neither do I want to have any more time wasted than necessary since could be waiting a while anyway.

Parents
  • I got my letter to say I'm on the waiting list so all has gone right. :) I'm relieved to be over the first hurdle (second? Maybe GP was first hurdle).

Now I just have to figure out what it is they're asking me to send back to them; have to give details of someone who can comment on my development; my mum or my sister would be happy to do that, but they don't live at all locally and can't actually attend the assessment centre if that's what they want them to do (but it isn't at all clear if that's the case). It kind of sounds like maybe they just call them, but they don't say that. It's ironic they can be so confusing when they're meant to be assessing people with communication issues.  Luckily, they have an email address, so I can ask them without having to pick up the phone.

• Glad you've got the confirmation of the waiting list.  I am just going through the same process so it is useful for this feedback and valuable reference for others (thanks also to all the others who have responded).

Reply Children
No Data