Diagnosis experiences

Hi, I'm relatively new here. I have suspected that I might have ASD for several years and am looking to get an assessment to make sure. I think the symptoms describe me very well, and I would like to know the answer. However, on the majority of NHS and private clinics websites, they would like you to bring a family member for the assessment. And I feel the request to bring a family member is a major barrier. One reason is that there is so much stigma associated with ASD, I am quite sure my parents would not want me to get a diagnosis. Some clinics do offer assessments without relatives' involvement, but add that it sometimes may not be possible to reach a conclusion without enough information. I don't have any close friends I can take with me to the assessment either. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through a diagnosis assessment alone and can share their experiences. This would be very helpful! 

Parents
  • I went to my assessment alone and answered the questions relating to my childhood myself which seemed perfectly acceptable to the assessors. Because I could not remember before the age of school much, they weren't able to score me on the section relating to childhood regression but I still easily scored enough on every other area for a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.   

• I went to my assessment alone and answered the questions relating to my childhood myself which seemed perfectly acceptable to the assessors. Because I could not remember before the age of school much, they weren't able to score me on the section relating to childhood regression but I still easily scored enough on every other area for a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.   

Children
  • Yes, me too. Well, actually both my parents are dead. The assessors might also be interested in things like school reports. I could have taken an older sibling if I'd wanted, but it wasn't an issue.

I gave my own honest history, and they were happy with that. Even though I presented my past as explicable or 'normal' based on what I'd experienced, I still got a positive diagnosis, which was a bit of a surprise.

I think of 'differences' instead of 'symptoms'.