Thoughts on dying/death

Often when I speak to medical professionals about my views on death they are very surprised  and exclaim ‘you are very black and white about that.’ I realise my views on the subject  differ to that of many other people, and they have done since I was a young child. I don’t know if this is partly due to my autism, or just my own weird take on things, so I thought I’d ask on here what other people’s views on death/dying are. To give you a flavour of my views, here are some of my comments on the matter:

I think that we all die so we should get used to the idea sooner rather than later and that’s it’s not worth worrying about as it is inevitable. I wouldn’t care if I died tomorrow. Further, if I was to fall terminally ill I would refuse treatment as I believe in letting nature take it’s course - after all, natural selection has worked well for thousands of years, so why mess with it? If I died prematurely due to illness I would just see it that this was meant to be. This is why, despite being in my early 20s, I have already requested a do not resuscitate to be in place (also, I kind of view CPR as a form of physical assault - having seen it done to others, I certainly wouldn’t want it done to me!) and I said I wouldn’t want a blood transfusion when I had surgery. Don’t get me wrong, I am not one to refuse all medical input and I am very thankful for some of it, but I do draw a distinct line between what I consider acceptable and not.

My grandma is currently in a nursing home with dementia. She literally asked my mum and me to smother her, and she just wants to die because she is no longer able to live at home and do what she enjoyed. The home said she was depressed and tried to medicate her for it. They gave her a medication they new would increase her appetite as she was refusing food. I ended up arguing with them over it, explaining that my grandma wasn’t mentally ill - her thinking was perfectly logical and if I was in her position I would feel the same way. My grandma is very like me, and is very pragmatic about death also, and she hid the tablets rather than taking them, so that demonstrates what she thought about it! Maybe I was wrong to argue with the home, but I honestly couldn’t understand why they were trying to get her to feel different and eat more, as this would only prolong her suffering (aka life) and she just wanted to die! I think that keeping people alive at all cost is truly immoral and if they didn’t ask for it personally, it is selfish of those who did.

Disclaimer: I don’t mean to offend anyone with my views, and I certainly don’t expect others to comply with them. I respect everyone’s views and I know this is a difficult subject for some. I’m just wondering if anyone else thinks like me about death, or if I’m being obscure on my own here! Some may put it down to my current depression, but as mentioned I’ve thought like this from a very young age, so it appears intrinsic (maybe inherited from my grandma!).

Parents
  • Greetings.

In reply to the Title... My own main problem with "death" is that I believe in Reincarnation... and I completely do NOT want to snuff-it in the wrong way so as to have to come back and do all of this again without any previous memory of how NOT to go through all of this in the wrong way again.

..."Have a nice day". (!)

• Greetings.

In reply to the Title... My own main problem with "death" is that I believe in Reincarnation... and I completely do NOT want to snuff-it in the wrong way so as to have to come back and do all of this again without any previous memory of how NOT to go through all of this in the wrong way again.

..."Have a nice day". (!)

Children
  • I believe in reincarnation too, though by my beliefs I don’t have to worry about dying in any particular way because I believe our soul is intended to experience many different lives (in order to learn from them all), and therefore what we have/do in one life will not be the same in the next. Basically each life is different as we are here to learn different lessons from each of them.

I realise some may find my views to be completely bonkers but hey ho, it would be terribly boring if we all had the same opinions about everything!

• I am replying to myself, yet have read two answers so far from Nexus9 and Endymion...

I made no mention of "suicide" and have no intention of entering upon that particular topic - here (in public). It also touches upon Religion, as Reincarnation does... but I myself only mentioned Reincarnation.

I post this just to let anyone know why I might not Post again about it...

...Except to say, that when I was being Diagnosed with Aspergers, I was asked, and I said all that, yet their own way of acknowledging what I said was to completely ignore that answer!

(I also said that I was a "Cynosure", but they mis-heard this word and wrote "Sinecure" instead... Go Figure.)     :-/ 

• That can certainly be an answer on whether it is justifiable to commit suicide