Irlen syndrome. Any one know anything about this?

I use a coloured film overlay when I read books, and I have my kindle set up in blue shade mode with a colour tint. This helps hugely with my dyslexia.  Husband was looking for a new overlay for me and found some stuff on Irlen syndrome so I wondered if any of you knew anything about it? Positive or negative.

Parents
  • Yes, I had an Irlen Screening after hearing Paddy Considine talking about how the filters helped him. The symptoms he described sounded familiar, especially about flourescent lights.

www.independent.co.uk/.../paddy-considine-irlen-syndrome-diagnosis-has-helped-me-become-a-better-actor-9734252.html

I asked my GP about it and he was sceptical. I spoke to the people at my Autism center and they were less sceptical. Apperently it is more prevelant in ASD people.There were 3 people who had reported a big difference when wearing filters. One guy wrote me a nice long summary of his experiences and the cost, he was a surgeon with ASD. So going by the people who had said it was beneficial I decided to have a screening.

In the screening they hold a different coloured tint in front of your eye and test how you see certain things. They'll add more colours until you feel that your sight is in the best shade built up from all the filters. I didn't realise it but I saw a halo around solid red and green objects. Textures and patterns disappeared that were basically things that weren't real. I stood under a flourescent light for far longer that usual with less discomfort. My synesthesia was less dominant. It really did have an effect. I decided to get the filters. They are a sort of dark orangey amber. You might have any colour lens according to the way your eye processes colour.

If you do have the lenses made make sure you have the largest frame type you can find, to cover as much as your eyesight as possible. I had a pair which were smaller but I barely use them because they don't cover enough of my eyesight. With my other lenses I got them put into larger pair of frames. So things like aviator style glasses, larger clubmasters, and square framed glasses. I just find I got more out of the larger frames. They look pretty good imo too!

Some NHS trusts will pay for your lenses and screening. Devon, Humberside and parts of the North West do offer it. I'd do a bit of enquiring because it can be pricey.

Last but not least use a certified Irlen centre. I've seen prices at some places that are not certified that are exorbitant, also they don't use official Mears Irlen lab lenses.

http://www.irlenuk.com/centres.htm

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

• Yes, I had an Irlen Screening after hearing Paddy Considine talking about how the filters helped him. The symptoms he described sounded familiar, especially about flourescent lights.

www.independent.co.uk/.../paddy-considine-irlen-syndrome-diagnosis-has-helped-me-become-a-better-actor-9734252.html

I asked my GP about it and he was sceptical. I spoke to the people at my Autism center and they were less sceptical. Apperently it is more prevelant in ASD people.There were 3 people who had reported a big difference when wearing filters. One guy wrote me a nice long summary of his experiences and the cost, he was a surgeon with ASD. So going by the people who had said it was beneficial I decided to have a screening.

In the screening they hold a different coloured tint in front of your eye and test how you see certain things. They'll add more colours until you feel that your sight is in the best shade built up from all the filters. I didn't realise it but I saw a halo around solid red and green objects. Textures and patterns disappeared that were basically things that weren't real. I stood under a flourescent light for far longer that usual with less discomfort. My synesthesia was less dominant. It really did have an effect. I decided to get the filters. They are a sort of dark orangey amber. You might have any colour lens according to the way your eye processes colour.

If you do have the lenses made make sure you have the largest frame type you can find, to cover as much as your eyesight as possible. I had a pair which were smaller but I barely use them because they don't cover enough of my eyesight. With my other lenses I got them put into larger pair of frames. So things like aviator style glasses, larger clubmasters, and square framed glasses. I just find I got more out of the larger frames. They look pretty good imo too!

Some NHS trusts will pay for your lenses and screening. Devon, Humberside and parts of the North West do offer it. I'd do a bit of enquiring because it can be pricey.

Last but not least use a certified Irlen centre. I've seen prices at some places that are not certified that are exorbitant, also they don't use official Mears Irlen lab lenses.

http://www.irlenuk.com/centres.htm

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Children