New job problems. Help.

I started a new job last Monday, and after a very frank review with manager on Friday afternoon I'm considering quitting after only a week.

The basic theme of the review was that I'm not showing an aptitude for the work and not engaging with the clients well enough.

I will start by explaining some of my background and situation.

I, unsurprisingly have had long gaps in my employment and need money desperately.  And I cannot be choosy!   So obvious route is finding paid employment.  Any paid job!!!!!  

Other routes are trying for more benefits.  One debt advisor suggested I apply for PIP.  The next three professional  advisors ( same week)  laughed at the suggestion.  Saying that my social skills problems are minisule compared to some people they deal with.

I have and had multiple advisors giving me all types of contradictory advice.

In applying for this job, one of my employment advisors actually changed my answers.

For confidentiality reasons I will not give specific details but the job is full time at the minimum wage and involves supporting people with complex physical/mental needs.  Over the past twenty years I've been involved in doing this type of work for family and neighbors, so I am familiar with the issues and can emphasize with most autistics and their problems.

The problems are that I'm not showing enough enthusiasm and the will to get involved in specific tasks while shadowing existing workers.  I am too reserved.

And the end of week review was very very negative.

Should I quit?  Or turn up tomorrow morning and carry on ?

At the moment I'm intending to continue and apply for other jobs simultaneously.  Just doing application for work at local poundstrechter.

Parents
  • I really understand you.

I struggle in the workplace a lot.

Do not quit.

The worse that can happen is that they will let you go. Never leave yourself. That should help with the benefits applications.

You need to ask for reasonable adjustments.

Contact the Access to Work, the Government scheme.

You will need a workplace assessment.

You also need to complain about the people who pushed you to lie to the organizations. Write and send complaints.

Put in a grievance and/or go to the Employment Tribunal.

But do not quit, even if you are giving up. I am not saying that you should carry on being miserable. Simply go there and do nothing if you cannot do anything. No one can force you to do more than you are comfortable to do.

Do not worry about the reviews. They mean nothing.

And also keep applying for all the available benefits.

• I really understand you.

I struggle in the workplace a lot.

Do not quit.

The worse that can happen is that they will let you go. Never leave yourself. That should help with the benefits applications.

You need to ask for reasonable adjustments.

Contact the Access to Work, the Government scheme.

You will need a workplace assessment.

You also need to complain about the people who pushed you to lie to the organizations. Write and send complaints.

Put in a grievance and/or go to the Employment Tribunal.

But do not quit, even if you are giving up. I am not saying that you should carry on being miserable. Simply go there and do nothing if you cannot do anything. No one can force you to do more than you are comfortable to do.

Do not worry about the reviews. They mean nothing.

And also keep applying for all the available benefits.

Children
  • The job may be making me miserable.  But I had some good news financially.

The job centre gave me a monthly bus pass worth £88.

The lying employment agency advisor gave me £30 worth of gift vouchers to help with buying work clothes.

The city council approved my application for discretionary housing payment ( DHP).  And sent a cheque for over £800 to my landlord, wiping out my rent arrears.