Are you good at maths?

I have this preconceived idea that all Autistic people are really good at maths.  I am terrible at mental arithmetic or any kind of working out in my head!  Yet I can put together a mean spreadsheet, with formulas, forecasts, percentages whatever you like.  But ask me what something times something is?  Haven't a clue?

So I just wanted to see if that is odd for an Autistic person?  

Parents
  • The abstract side of maths, I was always pretty good at, and I spend quite a bit of time turning equations into computer algorithms in the sound processing code that's one of my hobbies. I got my 'A' level without having to sweat too much (doing both Applied Maths and Physics conveniently meant there was a bit less to learn!)

Mental arithmetic, I'm absolutely hopeless at, though. Unless I write down my working out, I can mess up just adding a couple of two digit numbers very easily. I don't have any problem with number recognition; I think it's more that I always seem to have too many thoughts cluttering up my working memory - I make a lot of mistakes carrying over to the next digit. I also quite often have to work forwards or backwards through different multiples to double-check that I've remembered my times tables correctly.

• The abstract side of maths, I was always pretty good at, and I spend quite a bit of time turning equations into computer algorithms in the sound processing code that's one of my hobbies. I got my 'A' level without having to sweat too much (doing both Applied Maths and Physics conveniently meant there was a bit less to learn!)

Mental arithmetic, I'm absolutely hopeless at, though. Unless I write down my working out, I can mess up just adding a couple of two digit numbers very easily. I don't have any problem with number recognition; I think it's more that I always seem to have too many thoughts cluttering up my working memory - I make a lot of mistakes carrying over to the next digit. I also quite often have to work forwards or backwards through different multiples to double-check that I've remembered my times tables correctly.

Children