Need help understanding assessment process

Hi, 

I feel I'm either bot understanding well (a typical thing with me) or I'm not being explained it very Well.

I have been refered by my doctor for an assessment of aspergers, I saw refered for an initial assesment who asked me to do some autism questionnaire and asked me some questions.

I was then called a few days later to advise I'm on a waiting list to see a physcologist.

My question is if I have been put in a waiting list does this mean they suspect I Have it? If I had scores low on these questionnaire to say I didn't then would that mean they didn't put me on a waiting list to see a  physcologist ? 

And what can i expect from seeing a physcologist ?

Thank you 

• Hi Nadielou,

You might want to have a look at the page here on the site about the process of getting a diagnosis. Steps 3-5 here seem particularly relevant to you - http://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/adults.aspx. You can read about the different steps of the process and what to expect when you go to see the psychologist.

To answer your question, it's difficult to say without knowing you or your doctor exactly why they have decided to refer you. The exact way getting a diagnosis works is not the same for every individual GP or doctor's surgery. If the psychologist appointment is not for a while, and it's on your mind, is it possible you could call back the doctor's and ask for more information about why they decided to refer you?

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

• If you can cope with the idea you can always ask to go on a cancellation list, you will be seen faster then.

• Hi Nadielou,

My assessment process was similar.  I was referred by my GP, then had an initial assessment (at home) based on my AQ score.  I was asked some further questions about my life, behaviours, things I struggled with.  I then had a call to say I was being put forward for a formal diagnosis.  I was told that there was good reason to believe it was worth it.  In other words - if they hadn't thought it was worth it, I wouldn't have got that call.

I then waited about 8 months, I think, for the appointment with the psychologist.

At that appointment, I was asked further - more in-depth - questions for about an hour.  My mother, who went with me, was also interview separately.  The final diagnosis came through a couple of months later.

I'm not sure they would be taking it this far with you if they didn't think there was any point.  So, it looks promising.

Good luck - though you can expect to wait a while, most likely, until you get to the top of the waiting list.

Tom