Are there any women here?

Hi, I’m new to the forum and want to know if there are any women here online (I’m a  female professional in my early 40s). From reading some posts you are out there but kind of in the minority....I am hoping to seek diagnosis very soon and would appreciate knowing I’m not alone out here..! Thank you

Parents
  • Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm a 51 year old woman, self diagnosed. I have 2 children, one is autistic.

• hmm self diagnosed, what a good idea.  I wonder why I've felt the need to get a rubber stamp?

• Hi, I haven't decided yet whether or not to try for an official diagnosis, but I still might. It would be nice to be absolutely sure. I came to the conclusion that I have Asperger's because I have an autistic son, and came to recognise some of his behaviour from my own childhood. I have read a lot about autism on his account, and that has also led me to that conclusion. I've done several online tests for Asperger's traits, and the results strongly suggest it.

• Hi, I haven't decided yet whether or not to try for an official diagnosis, but I still might. It would be nice to be absolutely sure. I came to the conclusion that I have Asperger's because I have an autistic son, and came to recognise some of his behaviour from my own childhood. I have read a lot about autism on his account, and that has also led me to that conclusion. I've done several online tests for Asperger's traits, and the results strongly suggest it.

Children
  • You are absolutely fine and express yourself as you feel best.  I am actually just wait for my official diagnosis.  I agree with you that it is important for all of the reasons that you mention.  I have 6 children and 6 have disabilities and so I have to deal with government an awful lot to get services for my children.  I have been very much misunderstood by these people.  Having a diagnosis I feel will protect me legally for one thing, also ensure that I continue to receive the services that I need.  Thank you for your post.  Don't feel you need to reply if you are tired.  This I think is one place where you can just be 'you' without any worry and no one will judge you or disapprove.

• You get the Official Diagnosis for three reasons: 1- An official diagnosis is NOT an easy thing to gain, and 2- once you get it, you can gain access to certain services which may have been denied to you before that, and in LAW. And 3- After gaining the official diagnosis... you do *not* have to declare it unless needs must.

...I have Posted before upon this Thread, which is why I am Posting in such a manner. And I am becoming tired of repeating myself so often. Sorry.

• Me too.  This is where I got to looking at myself through my children and then through speaking to their consultant.  The ADHD diagnosis brought so much relief that I now want that for the other part that ADHD does not explain!