late diagnosis..

Hi, I've recently - finally - got my Asperger diagnosis, preceded by an ADHD diagnosis. I'm in my 60s, and was misdiagnosed many years ago as bipolar, and had an even earlier label as a (gifted) child of being 'maladjusted'! I've since discovered that many autistic children were given this label, as child psychology was then in its infancy. Other than psychotic or schizophrenic, there were no diagnoses for children's mental health issues. My life has not been easy, and athough this diagnosis has been very welcome and has answered many questions, it's very hard for me to find anybody who can understand me and the difficulties I face. I've tried counselling a couple of times, but found that most professionals know nothing about autism other than basics like binary thinking and so find it hard to understand my (logical) take on everything. It would be great to hear back from anyone else who is in a similar situation, and to know that I'm not alone. 

Parents
  • I was going to post about ASC/Asperger's and bipolar. I am in my 50s, was diagnosed with ASC/Asperger's two years ago and today I persuaded a GP to refer me to a psychiatrist to see whether or not I am bipolar. If you had asked me three years ago I would have said I was bipolar instead of autistic but as the GP said I definitely have autistic traits even if I am not autistic. there is also no reason why you cannot be both.

I also understand that there is someone at my local autism hub who has been diagnosed as bipolar but who is convinced he is autistic instead.

So you are not alone. 

• Thanks for that, Taltunes, much appreciated. I wouldn't object to getting a bi polar diagnosis again, but I've been down that path and know pretty much all the meds and how the side effects were so awful I couldn't continue with them. Other than cognitive therapy, there isn't much else on offer. I know from the past that meditation would help me immensely, once I can relax enough to start again, as have been having a rough time the past year, and stress levels are sky high. I'm thinking of trying CBD oil, do you have any experience with this? It has mixed reviews but many find it excellent for many things, including alleviating anxiety. I get cross with myself sometimes, as I feel I ought to be able to self-heal if only I knew the right formula! 

• I might pick your brains on the meds at some point in the future but it is probably something best done in PMs (Private messages).

I have had lots of CBT over the years both before and after I was diagnosed and it does help to a limited extent but I think it has to be more tailored to our conditions and probably also available for a far longer period - when I am depressed I am depressed for months if not years not 6 weeks.

I find tai chi very useful for my ASC/Asperger's and am currently self-medicating both them and my bipolar with a combination of tai chi and meditation. Perhaps tai chi could get your stress levels down low enough that you can start meditating again although it can be a form of meditation in its own right. If tai chi is not your thing exercise of any sort - it does not have to be going to the gym - is very good at reducing stress levels.

I have no experience of CBD oil, do not know what it is and would probably be instinctively reluctant to try it.

• I forgot to say I also do some chanting which helps.

If you can't or don't want to do that try singing.

Reply Children
No Data