Bells, Buzzers and Ringing

Does anyone have problems with these sounds?

I've had panic attacks from thesee sounds for decades.

I hear a buzzer or a ringing sound, I may be the door or the telephone. I panic, my heart starts a rapid irregular beat, I sweat and generally panic/don't know what to do.

I've changed my phone ringtone to less threatening music.

I sometimes wake up instantly at night when I imagine a buzzer or ringing.   I check, there is no one at the door!  The phone has not rang!

Do others here have these problems.  Confounded

• I totally understand.  My problem is very sensitive hearing.  Naturally when I hear a door bell or phone it makes me jump/panic.

im glad it’s not just me.

• Phew

I am the same.  My hearing is so sensitive that when my mother had a hearing test I could hear the beeps from the machine. 

Too much noise is very painful.

Matthew

• And how happy we are to have you here Fuchsia :-) 

• I used to work in a nursing home where some of the electric hoists used to move clients made a screeching noise. It was worse than the call buzzer and part of the reason I stopped working there. A couple of years ago I had a 'reversing beeper' arrangement fitted to my car. It stops me knocking into the gate but at what cost to my peace of mind! Actually, after I got it fitted a young relative of mine with asd started asking if he could get out of the car before I had to reverse. I thought "Yes, and I wish I could too."  And then later I started thinking about other traits we have in common... and that has lead me here! And how happy I was to find this place.

• The phone ringing doesn't bother me, but a sound I really dislike is the clatter of plates and other crockery. I hate it even on a cookery programme or as background noise on a radio advert, and have to turn it down. (no, it isn't an excuse to get out of washing up, because I still do that.) It seems to echo through my head for an implausibly long time afterwards.

• Yes i can't stand anything like that. The phone or door or kitchen timer going, makes my heart beat crazily and makes me shake. It's worse if i'm already having an anxious day for some other reason. I was on the phone recently and the kitchen timer went off and i almost dropped the phone. I think it's partly that these are shrill sounds, so naturally unpleasant anyway. But also Evan is probably right as someone calling me or turning up at the door is always going to make me panic. I remember being in a dreadful state at school on days where they said 'today we will have a practice of the fire alarm' haha! I was a nervous wreck, couldn't hear a word the teacher said, waiting to have to put my hands over my ears and escape!

• Greetings. What I mention may seem like a joke, but it is not. There is, amazingly, a thing called "Exploding Head Syndrome"...! To find out a bit more, just type in those exact words into a Browser, etc. etc... I myself recall it because I certainly have it, just like Nightmares and Tachycardia... and, I could Post stories about it but, well, not in this Post, obviously...

With regards to loud sounds or certain sounds in general - *whilst conscious* - then, yes, I offer support at that. It is one of the "Diagnostic Criteria" for ASDs, or something. And I support the fact that if one is "conditioned" to something, then it causes an involuntary reaction. There are, of course, "Therapies" around this, but, of course, their efficiency depends upon individual and physical states...

...This last could invite a lot of technical waffling, which I do not much care for (sorry), and so I am closing this Post now. Fair Play to yourself and to all.

• Yeah, I’m the same. Even the rattle of my letter box sets me off. I need to get that fixed! I can’t stand alarm clocks, they’re like the height of violence to me. I don’t like clocks ticking and spend most of my time in silence. I can’t understand people who like constant noise. Even the noises that houses make from electricity etc are too much for me. I can’t wait until I’m living in nature in my converted van. I want only to hear the sweet sounds of nature. I’ve just got to figure out how I’m going to make my money to get me from here to there. Well, I don’t have to figure it out, it will be revealed to me. 

• I have problems with these sounds.

I've had panic attacks from these sounds.

I also when I hear a buzzer or a ringing sound, it may be the door or the telephone - I panic, my heart starts a rapid irregular beat, I sweat and generally panic/don't know what to do.

It is nice to know that I am not alone.

• Years ago, I used to wake up in the middle of the night hearing a buzzer.  I'm pretty sure it was my imagination or  hallucination.

Not as serious as hearing voices Relieved

• Whilst I do not suffer from panic attacks when I hear those noises, I do experience a great deal of anxiety.

Neither do I imagine hearing those noises. I have enough problems dealing with the noises I can hear!