Fear of phones?

Does anyone else have a horror of talking on the phone? I have hated using the phone since I was a child, although it is hard to pin down exactly why I dislike it so much. I think my main difficulty is 'reading' how a conversation is going when I can't see the other person. I pause for too long, or jump in too soon, or struggle to pick up crucial info from their tone - is this a bad time to call? am I making myself clear?

I am currently going through a work-related nightmare scenario where I have been asked to make loads of phone calls - in a situation I have always previously handled by email - and I feel stressed and anxious about all the time: anticipating the calls, making the calls, reflecting on the calls. It is supposed to be making everyone feel encouraged, but if any of the hapless recipients are like me they will be thoroughly put off!

I have always thought this was just a random failure on my part, but now I am wondering whether it is integral to my nature.

Parents
  • I think many of us have a fear of phones. I hate them with a passion - trying to communicate with a disembodied voice, never knowing who is supposed to speak .... horrible! I am quite sure that anyone who speaks to me on the phone without meeting in person first thinks I am a complete dork. 

I also hate it when the home phone rings. Even though I never answer it, I get instantly anxious as soon as it starts, it feels like someone invading my home. 

• I think many of us have a fear of phones. I hate them with a passion - trying to communicate with a disembodied voice, never knowing who is supposed to speak .... horrible! I am quite sure that anyone who speaks to me on the phone without meeting in person first thinks I am a complete dork. 

I also hate it when the home phone rings. Even though I never answer it, I get instantly anxious as soon as it starts, it feels like someone invading my home. 

Children
  • I only answer the home phone if it’s my mother. She and my in laws are just about the only people who use our landline no. now and I’ve avoided speaking to my in laws on the phone for the best part of 30 years. Only my father in law left now, and he seems to have got used to it.