Road to Diagnosis...

Ok, had my phone assessment. 
I get discussed in the weekly meeting tomorrow, and will get a letter saying Yay or Nay in a couple of weeks.

If it's a yes, then it'll be an 8 MONTH wait.

This is Norfolk/Suffolk btw.

As it's something which isn't registering in my mind as important for me to know (In my head I already know) I don't feel anxious or annoyed with the long wait at all.

I'm just... :|

• been accepted for the diagnosis service, forms filled, now the 6month+ wait...

• Jonesy's reasons for wanting diagnosis are very similar to mine.

I was referred by my GP to the Gloucestershire multi-disciplinary ASD team 7 months ago and accepted for diagnosis 6 months 1 week ago.  A few weeks ago I was 'phoned with a first 3-hour appointment for last Friday, with the second in mid-Jan.  Their estimate of 'in about 6 months' was absolutely spot on (I was going to chase them if I hadn't heard by now).

My wife and I both went to the first one.  I'd sent, unrequested, a 26 page list of what I'd been like as a child, youth and up to present day, in lieu of my parents being there as informants.  They had read it (I'm sorry it was so long), and even asked at the end of the meeting for the 6 page addendum of things written after the 26 page list.

The first thing they asked was why I wanted an assessment and how I'd feel if I got a diagnosis - and how I would feel if said I was not Autistic.  The latter got me worried.  They pointed out that they have to diagnose according to the NICE criteria and I wonder if, even though I have a lot of traits, scored 46 on AQ-50 and 8 on EQ-60 (and, no, I wasn't trying to answer the questions in either way), I cope too well for them to class me as having a Disability.

Apart from that, it was a fascinating and interesting chat, with my wife saying a few things about me that I hadn't realised.  She's self-diagnosed as HfASD/Aspie, can't see the point of seeking a diagnosis for herself, but supportive of my decision.

• thx.

and no spoilers till after Sat!

;)

• Good for you Chewie...

• Hi Chewie,

I didnt have a telephone assessment, my process was;

visit GP for referral which was no problem

then wait 7 months for first 1 hour face to face assessment with psychiatrist

then wait another 4 months for the next two 1 hour assessments (luckily 1 week apart)

then wait another 3 months for the final diagnosis letter to drop through the door (which was 9 days ago)

I needed the 'bit of paper' official diagnosis both to wave at NTs for proof but also even though I pretty much knew I was on the spectrum my own self confidence has been so low the last few years I needed the validation myself too. Hopefully your wait wont seem to long, mine was a struggle at times and I found myself a therapist with experience of ASD back in the summer and she's helped me get through these last few months. 

• im perma-lancing atm, financially rewarding but 2hr commute is a killer. need to cover all bases. in case i decide i've had enough and need more 'security'

• I've worked full-time for most of my working life.  My current job, though, is part-time - but permanent.  I work 4 days a week.  30 hours.  It's low paid, but I make enough - just - to cover everything.  It suits me now.

What did Mr Micawber say?  'Annual income 20 shillings, annual expenditure 19 shillings and 6 pence.  Result - happiness.  Annual income 20 shillings, annual expenditure 21 shillings.  Result - misery!' Slight smile

• totally hear ya. just need it rubber-stamping for the NTs, and also cover my own *** if I ever wanna get a dip back into work as a FTE.

• Hi Chewie,

I had an assessment at home first, and was told I could wait up to a year.  In the end, I got the diagnostic appointment about 10 months later.  This is in Kent.  Boy, did those months drag past!  All worth it in the end, though.  Like you, though, I was convinced about it all way before then.  The diagnosis was the icing on the cake.