ASD and psychosis

Hi all, 

I'm really happy to find so many people, especially women, on the spectrum as I'm struggling to find someone in person. I was diagnosed with Asperger's 2.5 weeks ago, aged 23... not too long ago! I've been finding it very difficult to cope over the last 10 months, and 2 weeks ago I was referred to an early psychosis intervention community mental health team by my psychiatrist after hearing voices and seeing things which aren't real. I'm really worried I cannot cope for much longer and will have to drop out of my PhD, which is the main area I obsess over!

Has anybody else suffered with this, is this normal for Aspies to go through? Does anybody have any advice about what helps, or any other useful ideas?

I'm looking forward to reading through people's experiences... Have a great day!

E x

Parents
  • Hi.  What's your PhD title and subject?

Is it full or part time?  What institution?

And no, I don't hear voices ( sometimes I hear bells or ringing), but I am obsessive and paranoid at times.

• I work with hydrogels, trying to understand them... it's quite fun... lots of numbers! I recently published work on 3D printing gels which was awesome to build! I work full time.

I see, I also get very paranoid. Recently I've felt as though people we're coming to get me and I had a voice telling my to kill myself, which is not nice! Had to leave work this morning :/

• The PhD aside, do you feel reasonably looked after for the time being? Please get in touch with someone (friend, parents, that community mental health team or whoever they said you should call if it's urgent, GP), someone who would notice if you forget to drink, eat, sleep and so on or are at risk of doing something dangerous. Please take care (or let others do that for you if you aren't able to do so yourself at the moment).

• Glad that you find your group at Uni supportive, maybe try not to worry too much about the PhD stuff then for now. There may also be something to support you financially, at least when it comes to the tuition fees.

I can imagine that this is incredibly difficult to tell others, but at the same time, the thought that a friend of mine is  suffering with something of that sort and I haven't got the slightest clue is very sad. I'm not blaming you for making others sad (just in case it sounded like that), I just mean, your friends would probably be more shocked if they knew that you don't dare to tell them than they would be if you told them. You don't need to tell lots of people but maybe try to decide for one you are going to tell if things get worse? Maybe write a text or something that you save, so you only need to send it if needed? You don't have to call it psychosis if it's the word that seems so shocking, maybe just explain what you feel like? Maybe someone from your group at Uni, if they already know anyway that you are not well? Try not to worry too much about what they are going to think or how shocked they will be or so, more than anything they'll want to support you. Guess just knowing that someone is there for you, when and for as long as you need it, not when you have an 1 h appointment, would perhaps reduce the stress and fear a little bit. It's important for getting better to have support!  

• My comment disapeared... To be honest nobody understands what I'm going through and I can't bring myself to tell friends or family about the psychosis, the words won't come out! the only people i can get help from is my CBT therapist and hopefully the psychiatric nurse. In between sessions my psychiatrist has told me to just call NHS 24. Thank you, I usually exhaust myself in feeling sad then fall asleep and wake up a bit better!!

• My comment disapeared... To be honest nobody understands what I'm going through and I can't bring myself to tell friends or family about the psychosis, the words won't come out! the only people i can get help from is my CBT therapist and hopefully the psychiatric nurse. In between sessions my psychiatrist has told me to just call NHS 24. Thank you, I usually exhaust myself in feeling sad then fall asleep and wake up a bit better!!

Children
  • Glad that you find your group at Uni supportive, maybe try not to worry too much about the PhD stuff then for now. There may also be something to support you financially, at least when it comes to the tuition fees.

I can imagine that this is incredibly difficult to tell others, but at the same time, the thought that a friend of mine is  suffering with something of that sort and I haven't got the slightest clue is very sad. I'm not blaming you for making others sad (just in case it sounded like that), I just mean, your friends would probably be more shocked if they knew that you don't dare to tell them than they would be if you told them. You don't need to tell lots of people but maybe try to decide for one you are going to tell if things get worse? Maybe write a text or something that you save, so you only need to send it if needed? You don't have to call it psychosis if it's the word that seems so shocking, maybe just explain what you feel like? Maybe someone from your group at Uni, if they already know anyway that you are not well? Try not to worry too much about what they are going to think or how shocked they will be or so, more than anything they'll want to support you. Guess just knowing that someone is there for you, when and for as long as you need it, not when you have an 1 h appointment, would perhaps reduce the stress and fear a little bit. It's important for getting better to have support!