Financial help for autistic children?

Is this something that happens? My daughter was diagnosed in January, she is 15. Should she get any financial assistance or anything? I have no idea. No one has said anything to us and there's no information in the pack they sent us. I have no idea what she's entitled to. Can anyone shed any light?

Parents
  • Hi, as other people here have said, the DLA for children and PIP for adults is not based on diagnosis but how any conditions affect daily living. It’s not means tested. The forms  are difficult and emotional to compete and to be successful in the claim you need to focus on all the negatives. There is a very good charitable website which gives excellent guidance  about how to complete these awful forms, there is a small membership fee ( just under £20)  but for that you get access to member guides on all benefits including ESA, how to appeal, how to complete forms, the whole process etc, in an easy to read format. 

There may be other things you can apply for her such as a disabled railcard,  your Council’s Local Offer on their website should give you information on where to get advice about what support is available in your area for your daughter as well. There may be a specific organisation that can help too, otherwise you could try Citizens Advice Bureaux and Mencap.

• Hi, as other people here have said, the DLA for children and PIP for adults is not based on diagnosis but how any conditions affect daily living. It’s not means tested. The forms  are difficult and emotional to compete and to be successful in the claim you need to focus on all the negatives. There is a very good charitable website which gives excellent guidance  about how to complete these awful forms, there is a small membership fee ( just under £20)  but for that you get access to member guides on all benefits including ESA, how to appeal, how to complete forms, the whole process etc, in an easy to read format. 

There may be other things you can apply for her such as a disabled railcard,  your Council’s Local Offer on their website should give you information on where to get advice about what support is available in your area for your daughter as well. There may be a specific organisation that can help too, otherwise you could try Citizens Advice Bureaux and Mencap.

Children