Flies. Can anyone offer any advice on strategies?

Evening,

I've never posted here before so don't know whether this is appropriate but I am in desperate need of some help forming strategies to aide my 8 year old daughter with her outright terror of flies.

The sun is shining which is great news for most of the world but I'm afraid a certain gut stirring dread is attached to the warm summer rays in our household. The fear is very real and very consuming. All windows and doors must be shut and any family member being outside the house can spark a tremendous melt down. The strange thing is that although the fly fear is ever present in our lives, it is much, much worse when we're at home. 

Has anybody experienced this either as a parent or has anybody had these fears themselves? Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

• I can relate! My son is nine and this has been a growing problem for the past few years! Like you, warmer weather means less time outside for our family. We have tried SO many different strategies but his anxiety around anything that flies is still very present. Getting him to articulate exactly what he is scared of has been hard. He has managed to convey that he is scared of the sting of bees and wasps and that he thinks he will die. We have reassured - bought literature- taken him to enclosed bee hives - spoken to bee experts - I've even been stung in front of him (and worked very hard to seem unaffected by it!). The problem is - he cannot differentiate between anything that flies outdoors when the panic sets in. He cannot tell the difference between a gnat and a bee! I've made visuals and all sorts to help but in his panic, no logic goes in. We've even bought insect toys - quite realistic and used them in play at home - he quite liked that but it didn't really do anything to combat his very real terror when outdoors. We have now decided to turn to the help of a local autism charity that provides counselling - expensive but worth it if it helps. The problem is FAR more prevalent at home but this seems to be the case with nearly all his anxieties and worries. We're going to Australia in December and I feel a bit sick at the thought!!! Good luck - it is a very difficult situation X

PS- my son attends an autism unit and his teacher has commented that nearly all of the children there have a dread fear of flying insects.

• Hi, it's just flies. 

• I have a thing about Moths and Mosquitos but I also have a thing about harsh chemicals.

Lavender Oil will repel pretty much anything that flies. Moths, flying beetles, flies, mosquitos, the list goes on. If you don't like the smell of lavender, citronella (smells like lemons), and clove oil.

The best and cheapest way I found was to buy a big bag of lemongrass and boil it out. You will be able to make lots of the liquid for a relatively cheap price. You can also buy the oil.

To use the oils just get an Essential Oil Infuser. I got one of these off Amazon. You can set it to make colours or switch the colours off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-Diffuser-Anjou-Ultrasonic-Shut-Off/dp/B076BJMF9W/ref=sr_1_4_a_it/260-5215022-2637734?ie=UTF8&qid=1524102547&sr=8-4&keywords=scented+oil+diffusers

You won't need to chase flies around or kill anything. Nothing will come into the room. The only downside is you will have to put up with the smell! I hope she gets some peace of mind!

• Is she afraid of flies specifically or just of all flying insects, with flies just being the most abundant ones?

I agree. Yes, Please specify. Also tell us if it is BIG insects, or  LITTLE insects, or certain colours or certain noises. This is important to know, since there are different ways of dealing with different insects... Indoors.

In the meantime... some advice would be to not show "terror" in front of your child, whilst confronted with things which they may show to you as "terrifiying" to them... in doing so, it grows into a genuine Phobia. 

Also, some general advice for almost ALL Insects:

Open a large door or Window.

Darken the room so that the light comes from that opening only. (Draw curtains upon the other side of the room.)

The Insect should fly towards the Light, or the Opening, or the "Blue Sky", as it were.

(This does not work for Pests and Moths, or so much at night, which is why we ask you to specify what you mean...!)

• Is she afraid of flies specifically or just of all flying insects, with flies just being the most abundant ones?

• Apologies, I didn't state on my original question but my daughter is autistic. She wears ear defender's most of the time. Thanks