How did your day go?

Hi folks,

Today was the first day of my week-long induction into my new job, working as an Individual Support Worker in day services in a local autism charitable trust.  It was an interesting, if exhausting day.  We all got to introduce ourselves and talk about our experiences with autistic people.  I seemed to be the only one who'd worked in care for several years.  Many people were completely new to it.  It was great to see such enthusiasm, though, for working with people on the spectrum.  Most of the people we'll be working with are severely autistic and need 24-hour support.

I was also the only person there with an autism diagnosis, which I mentioned - and which generated a flurry of interest.  The trainers would often come to me for perspectives, and most people seemed generally keen to hear of my experiences both through working with autistic people and through my own personal experiences as an autistic person.  I think this is really going to be a great place to work!

I was anxious as hell over the weekend - mainly about the journey there.  I did a lot of planning, though (my car doesn't have sat-nav) and didn't get lost once, despite a lot of complicated city-centre navigation.  I have a hopeless sense of direction, and one wrong turning would have left me in Nightmare-land!  I feel so much better now!

How was everyone else's day today?

Tom

Parents
  • Oh tom I am so very happy to hear all positive comments for your first day,I did worry just one small thing might stop you but I underestimated you.really glad that the others see you as a good place for information.just don't become the cure all for ALL their enquiries,may be a bit full on?

So we are both useless at navigation,how strange,before sat navy I would sit up half the nite panicking printing off maps,like you one wrong turn and chaos.

My day was shall we say interesting,I had to be mr health and safety against my managers!took a lot of courage but needed doing,deep breaths,getting wound up but managed to let him speak before telling him"no that is not good enough!" He eventually saw my reasoning and is now being proactive,about time to. My aim was for him to see.

1)The men will go home safely.

2)The company won't end up in court.

3) No big HSE inquiry.

4)No stigma of court proceedings and potential loss of work.

Win win win win.

The guys needed guidance and given a depth to excavate to and then stop for further guidance.On two occasions two gangs have acted less than safe! I get to hear it and my duty is to rectify it but with the necessary answers to stop it happening again.

So one hours sleep last nite wasn't so bad,very tired now so if I suddenly stop rambling then Zzzzzz.

Enough about me how did everyone else cope? And that means all of you including those not juggling in the work place.hugs to sooth all.

• Glad your day was good Mr Warrior. Well done for being brave and stating your case...and you always have armfuls of legislation to refer to to back up your case..,which helps ground and reinforce what you have to say.

sound advice to Mr T as well...make sure that you don't drown by being everyone's "go-to guy!"

hope you sleep better tonight 

• So Ellie should I ask? Don't feel obliged if it was a bad day.

• Have a good day, Mr Warrior...

Up and over the wall again! Brave face painted, deep breaths had...and 3....2.....1!

• Thank you Missy x

• Ellie sounds like lots of hugs are required. Sending hugs to the eloquent Elephant lady. Hope you can relax this evening. 

• I am not obliging, young man x

Reply Children