Online Community - Comments, Improvements and Feedback

Dear Community,

We were pleased to see so many comments about the community on the recent thread about the Leader Board. We are always wanting to learn more about how we can develop the community and so have locked the previous thread so that all comments and suggestions about general improvements to the community can now be placed here on this thread.

Please comment here on any ideas, improvements or feedback you have about the Online Community. 

Please note that although we take on board all your ideas, we may not be able to implement all of them.

As always, please be kind and respectful when commenting to each other.

Thanks,

NAS Moderators

Parents
  • Is it possible to add new tags?

When you start a new post, there is a box for tags, and a pop-up list that includes some big topics, but also odd entries like 'austim?' and 'ASDme', some capitalised, some not, duplicates like 'stress' and 'stressed', and not in alphabetical order as caretwo says above. I don't think it should add new tags automatically just from careless typing, but it's not obvious how to request new tags. I was thinking of:

• conversation
    • small talk
    • speech
    • eye contact
    • alexithymia

Thanks for any reply.

• You can create new tags by typing into that box. I've just been through and done some tidying up, correcting spelling errors in some tags, and merging ones that were obviously the same concept. They are listed in the box starting with the most used.

Tags are designed to be user-created in this way. Threads with similar tags will be more likely to be linked together in the Related box in the right column (or below the thread on mobile), so it makes sense to choose existing tags where possible. Since the aim is essentially to pick out the important topics that distinguish this thread (and similar ones) from others, tags such as "autism" will tend, in this particular Community, not to be as useful as, say, employment, hobbies or art.

• Thanks for the explanation. I don't know how that didn't seem to work earlier. Now I've been able to add the two I want, by pressing Enter or clicking the italic word I've entered from the menu. Maybe the site has a limit on total number of tags so no new ones could be added? If it wasn't that, maybe I was just not trying the right thing!

Meanwhile on my latest post, there were some odd formatting issues related to including a poll.  Nothing major, but it seemed to remove the text that I'd copied from the body of the post into the poll, and I can't seem to get rid of the bolding in the first paragraph, even with 'clear formatting'. Quite a minor thing compared to the tag thing that brought me here.

• Thanks for the explanation. I don't know how that didn't seem to work earlier. Now I've been able to add the two I want, by pressing Enter or clicking the italic word I've entered from the menu. Maybe the site has a limit on total number of tags so no new ones could be added? If it wasn't that, maybe I was just not trying the right thing!

Meanwhile on my latest post, there were some odd formatting issues related to including a poll.  Nothing major, but it seemed to remove the text that I'd copied from the body of the post into the poll, and I can't seem to get rid of the bolding in the first paragraph, even with 'clear formatting'. Quite a minor thing compared to the tag thing that brought me here.

Children
  • That paragraph is marked up as H3 (heading level 3), which is why it is formatted as larger, bold text. If that formatting is not being cleared as you describe, my guess is that the editor is interpreting your selection as being the text in the paragraph, but not the heading tags. A trick you could try is to edit the message, cut out the entire paragraph, and remove any blank line that is left as a result. Then paste the paragraph back using Edit - Paste as Text on the editor menu.

But as you say, it's not a major problem.