Do fidget spinners help?

I should start by pointing out that everyone is different, so if they work for you, that's the answer; they work. After realising that they may actually help me, I tried a bit of research on whether the connection is simply a crowd perceived reality, or not. I wanted to understand what they actually did, and how they work (for the people who say they do). I got a free fidget cube from my employer but it does nothing for me. I wasn't sure the spinner would be any different. I got one today. I went for a retro, copper, two rotor spinner. It's surprisingly solid. I can't explain how, I'm still trying to figure it out, but it seemed to help me. I found my working day went smoother for the most part.

Mine is a heavy spinner, It's copper. It's also twin rotor which makes it more unstable by nature than the regular triple rotor spinners. Being heavier, it's also more likely to unbalance easier when spinning. It's also enough to give a subtle massage on the part that's holding it, like the tip of the finger. The act of waving the land / arm around while it's spinning, means that you need to be concious of the balance. I've also started using it as: start spinning, keep it balanced, wave the hand slowly while silently singing a verse of a song, before allowing myself to touch it again. Between these things, I think it's helping draw enough focus, sapping the stress.

From what I've read, it seems to be a "your mileage may vary" thing. It depends on how you fidget. I've had one day with mine. I don't know if that's just a first impression or whether it will continue. Annoyingly, the day I got mine, one of the managers came round everyone, handing our branded ones. I now have my copper twin rotor spinner as an outside work one, and the plastic, branded, triple rotor one in my locker at work. Other fidget "toys" are available of course. I was sceptical, but open to trying it. So far, I think it was the right move for me.

• I have a colour wheel which I spin when I'm anxious, but a few people have recommended fidget spinners

• Having Aspergers I use my  Fidgit spinner and fidgit cube after Ive driven to work and before I go in the building.  The spinner is silver and as you spin it I can see different patterns it creates, which makes me concentrate hard on it taking my mind off what I have ahead of me at work during the shift.  The cube (mine is black) is something to play with in my hand - I find the side with the metal ball on a little soothing and gives me something to do with my hands.

• I use a highly concealed version of fidgeting. I knit and crochet. I get pissed off when people complain and say mysteriously most of the time "I have a neurological condition that makes it difficult to concentrate if I am still for long periods." Only really stupid people push further

• My grandson who has Asperger has made them his new obsession.  Wants a shelf in his bedroom to put them on and just needs them for his birthday in August x

• It's also handy as something that takes the use of my left hand, reducing my two handed typing to one.  This means I'm slowed down, with more focus on the keys. This kinda helps me think of what I'm typing a bit more. Today I started playing with patterns in changing direction of the spin, then moving onto doing that while keeping the rotation smooth. The fact that the balance is sensitive all helps I think. It's a lot more than I initially thought, Colours may help too. Mine is copper so it does have a glint in the light. Mine is solid. I have no doubts about the durability. Whether or not it becomes a short lived thing or not; time will tell.

• I Got a black one from The Works, didn't have purple, it does provide some amusement, however I wonder if I should get more in different colours, multicolours shiny ones or light up ones just to add to the variety, I wonder if I could find a way to set them all spinning together. I love this dude and some of his whacky inventions. I love eccentrics www.colinfurze.com/ 

• All of my children have these, but they have not really lasted long. For my son who is ASD, he seems to form attachments to things but only for short periods of time. His spinner turns up every now and again during bouts of tidying. I have tried my childrens spinners but they do not provoke any sort of feelings of contentment for me. I seem to find my 'fidget' fix in tapping out rhythms and swaying to music only I can hear, much to the annoyance of my NT partner.

• My non-autistic son bought one due to it being a popular craze and it was a short lived interest. I quite liked it myself but never really felt compelled by it so I bought my own copper one that looks like an old bath tap with six spokes. Again, I had some minor amusement but it didn't really keep my mind focussed or alleviate any fidgeting. My fidget device is still probably my iPad and some of the puzzle games on it.