Why nothing for us!!!!

It really annoys me, my brother has CMT and there is a weekend expecally for him and he found his gf there who also has CMT.

I have High functioning Autisim and there is nothing for us, no weekend meetup that takes place every year. Wouldn't it be great if we could atcually have something like that, i might of met a girl if that had happened

Parents
  • Arran said:

We have to take the rough with the smooth. It would be seriously biased to restrict forums posts to positive vibes about the NAS.

I wasn't suggesting that it should only be restricted to positive posts, but I also don't see how constant negativity is in any way helpful.

Arran said:
    1. Are you a member of the NAS yourself?

No, I don't see a point in being a member, that doesn't mean that I don't see a point in the NAS.

Arran said:
    1. What advantage do you see for the NAS (from their point of view) to continue to provide services for people with AS and other high-functioning ASD when for years on end they have done a generally poor job of it and treat such people as low priority cases? Are you a member of the NAS yourself?

I don’t accept that they have done a generally poor job of it or treat people as low priority. Apart from the services they provide there is also the need to raise awareness, the NAS do that, not always in the way everyone likes but then you can’t please everyone.

From their point of view one of the key aims will be to understand those who do and don’t need help, some people are only here looking for advice, others want full scale engagement, there has to be a balance between what is needed, wanted and can be funded.

Arran said:
    I'm interested to know exactly which year the NAS first recognised AS and decided that people with AS are now within their territory.

They didn’t, the medical community did. For a while now it’s been recognised that Asperger’s was part of the same condition as Autism, it’s a sliding scale with various common traits and different levels of impact in different areas. Medically Asperger’s was rolled up with Autism to create Autism Spectrum Disorders. ASD is medically correct in effect Asperger’s is just higher functioning autism, but the same token Autism could be regarded as lower functioning or high impairment Asperger’s.

• Arran said:

We have to take the rough with the smooth. It would be seriously biased to restrict forums posts to positive vibes about the NAS.

I wasn't suggesting that it should only be restricted to positive posts, but I also don't see how constant negativity is in any way helpful.

Arran said:
    1. Are you a member of the NAS yourself?

No, I don't see a point in being a member, that doesn't mean that I don't see a point in the NAS.

Arran said:
    1. What advantage do you see for the NAS (from their point of view) to continue to provide services for people with AS and other high-functioning ASD when for years on end they have done a generally poor job of it and treat such people as low priority cases? Are you a member of the NAS yourself?

I don’t accept that they have done a generally poor job of it or treat people as low priority. Apart from the services they provide there is also the need to raise awareness, the NAS do that, not always in the way everyone likes but then you can’t please everyone.

From their point of view one of the key aims will be to understand those who do and don’t need help, some people are only here looking for advice, others want full scale engagement, there has to be a balance between what is needed, wanted and can be funded.

Arran said:
    I'm interested to know exactly which year the NAS first recognised AS and decided that people with AS are now within their territory.

They didn’t, the medical community did. For a while now it’s been recognised that Asperger’s was part of the same condition as Autism, it’s a sliding scale with various common traits and different levels of impact in different areas. Medically Asperger’s was rolled up with Autism to create Autism Spectrum Disorders. ASD is medically correct in effect Asperger’s is just higher functioning autism, but the same token Autism could be regarded as lower functioning or high impairment Asperger’s.

Children
No Data