Finding a job

I've recently had all my benefits stopped and have been told I have to find a job. I haven't had a job in over 10 years and even just thinking about it makes me feel sick and anxious. I can't even bring myself to look at a job search website, let alone go to the job centre, go to interviews or......go to work!! What am I supposed to do? I have no money coming in at all now. I could in theory apply for job seekers allowance but I know I'd be kicked off of it almost straight away because I wouldn't be able to apply for all the jobs they tell me too. I'm feeling abandoned by the system and completely without help. Almost feel like I'm being punished for having ASD :(

Parents
  • grahame22 said:

I used to be in the work related activity group a few years ago, but the people I had to meet every week did nothing to help and found nothing for me. Yes I'm still eligable to take my esa case to tribunal, although I'm not feeling positive about that. DWP has made it very clear to me that ASD is not considered a reason not to work. Also I've read that tribunals can take a very long time, and I'm not really able to wait months and months with no money. 

PIP is something I'm going to check out tomorrow. Other than that I don't think there is any benefit I'd be entitled to

I had the same experience in the WRAG, which is why I went to the Shaw Trust.  I'd also advise that you contact your local MCCH, because they were also helpful.  They provided an advocate to be with me at one of the job-seeking sessions.

They're right in the sense that ASD is not considered a reason not to work - but that doesn't gainsay the fact that it is a 'disability' and therefore could limit the work you are able to do.

Yes, tribunals can take a while.  But if you refer your failed appeal to a tribunal, your ESA should be reinstated in the interim.  It was for me, anyway - and I don't think the rules have changed.

You might find it helpful to try one of the regional helplines.  I'm still waiting to hear from a friend who may have the info you need.  I'll let you know.

Check this link:

www.autism.org.uk/.../cid=51~aid=6.aspx

• grahame22 said:

I used to be in the work related activity group a few years ago, but the people I had to meet every week did nothing to help and found nothing for me. Yes I'm still eligable to take my esa case to tribunal, although I'm not feeling positive about that. DWP has made it very clear to me that ASD is not considered a reason not to work. Also I've read that tribunals can take a very long time, and I'm not really able to wait months and months with no money. 

PIP is something I'm going to check out tomorrow. Other than that I don't think there is any benefit I'd be entitled to

I had the same experience in the WRAG, which is why I went to the Shaw Trust.  I'd also advise that you contact your local MCCH, because they were also helpful.  They provided an advocate to be with me at one of the job-seeking sessions.

They're right in the sense that ASD is not considered a reason not to work - but that doesn't gainsay the fact that it is a 'disability' and therefore could limit the work you are able to do.

Yes, tribunals can take a while.  But if you refer your failed appeal to a tribunal, your ESA should be reinstated in the interim.  It was for me, anyway - and I don't think the rules have changed.

You might find it helpful to try one of the regional helplines.  I'm still waiting to hear from a friend who may have the info you need.  I'll let you know.

Check this link:

www.autism.org.uk/.../cid=51~aid=6.aspx

Children
No Data